Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info on Contractor Variant Shirts-Who Made Them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on Contractor Variant Shirts-Who Made Them?

Since my main focus is on USN stuff, I don't often tap into sources regarding Army gear. However, I am working on a research project which requires me to seek information regarding such. I have identified three different contractors per various articles by Osman, Brewster, et al. which provided issue type shirts to the Army during the war, J.T. Martin, Alex T. Lane, and A. Saroni. Is anyone familiar with other companies which may have produced these so-called "contractor variant" issue shirts? Thanks for the info,

Jon Isaacson

Re: Info on Contractor Variant Shirts-Who Made Them?

I would recommend checking into the Congretional Record, Letter from the Secretary of War, 38th Congress, 2nd session, Executive Document No. 84. It was published on March 3, 1865 and lists all contracts from December 1863 to that date. It is 131 pages and lists every contract at every depot (shirts included).
    You should be able to find a copy at your nearest Federal Repository, generally a university library.
    Just taking a quick glance at my photocopy, I see on page 7, a contract for 100,000 flannel shirts to H. B. Lord on February 22, 1864, to be delivered at New York City, $1.74 each.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Thanks Scott, great suggestion, and one I had considered. Unfortunately, I have limited access to Serial Sets right now. My line of inquiry may be a wild goose chase, and certainly is more of a fishing expedition than anything else right now. Thought someone out there may have explored the contractors in more detail and run across some names (which is really the only information I need), so thanks much for adding another to my list. Might be a chance next month I can get to the ones at University of Missouri to explore them a bit more in depth.

Jon Isaacson

Comment

Jon -

Don't have my copy handy, so I don't recall if they're mentioned, but Bazelon & McGuinn's A Directory of American Military Goods Dealers & Makers lists most of the contractors, cross-indexed with items they produced. I can check later to see how shirts are covered specifically. Good book to have, in general, though it's becoming hard to find.
        Marc A. Hermann
        Liberty Rifles.
        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Marc,

Just getting back to this. Thanks for your input. Following Scott's lead, I snooped around and found around 2,000 volumes of the Serial Set online. Had to inspect every one of them as they weren't cataloged properly. Wouldn't you know, nary a one had the information I was seeking. Will try to follow your lead and get a copy of that via interlibrary loan.

Jon Isaacson

Comment

Working...
          X