Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French manuals dealing with Zouave turbans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French manuals dealing with Zouave turbans?

Greetings -

I wish to take advantage of the relaxed restrictions on other eras, and hope this passes, as it relates directly to our period.

Does anyone have any insight on French military manuals containing any special instructions for preparing the turbans in zouave regiments (particularly those post-war manuals that might have those nifty instructional photos?)

The American zouave regiments seemed to be somewhat less traditional in their methods of wearing turbans (a point corroborated by European observers) and a few folds and wraps were it. However, the 114th PA as a bit more strict, and wore their (striped) turbans in a very particular manner, involving TIGHTLY rolling them. We've tried a whole body of experiments, using turbans of different dimensions (based on known French examples), trying to replicate the end result of a striped "sausage coil," but nothing is working definitively. It almost seems like one of those "trade secrets" that is passed on through tradition (there were quite a few European recruits in the 114th who may have said "hey, guys, THIS is how we do it over there") but I'm curious if any French military experts know of a source in which it's explained. Accounts talk about this being a several-person job, and this one postcard ALMOST provides the answer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	file.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	231070Click image for larger version

Name:	zouave1_imagesia-com_3mbe_large.jpeg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	231069

Please Note:

There has not been a change with what time periods are to be discussed here. There was a poll to gauge interest in the possibility only. There is some more latitude in the Sinks but not elsewhere. Since this is searching for sources to improve on a Civil War era impression lets see what is out there with keeping the discussion moving in that direction.

Thanks, Jeremy. Of course, I only post this question because of the international visitors to our forum who might have this information, which is key to an accurate CW impression for this particular unit, in sources not readily available to me. For further clarity, I include some samples of the 114th PA from their 1864 photo session to illustrate their turban rolls:

Name:	turbansample.jpg
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	231071
    Last edited by FranklinGuardsNYSM; 04-03-2014, 08:22 AM.
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Re: French manuals dealing with Zouave turbans?

I expect this photo will not help, but it is pure French. It is a mannequin in an 1860's Zouave uniform in the French National Military Museum in Paris. I took the photo in 2010. You can see the turban is not a sausage roll, but does cross in the front and back.

I took particular interest in the mannequin and the turban since our outfit portrays the 165th NY during their two campaigns in Louisiana in '63 and '64. In fact this very weekend we will put on the pantaloons and fezzes at the 150th anniversary reenactment on the actual ground at Mansfield, Louisiana.

Name:	118.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	224269
    Phil McBride
    Author:
    Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
    Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
    Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
    Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
    Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
    Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

Re: French manuals dealing with Zouave turbans?

Perhaps you might pose this question on the website of the 18me de Ligne,18edelignesecond... which is a Second Empire reenactment group in France.
      They have bundles of information on French Army practices anti bellum and wartime as well.
      Look for Paco faite le Zouave he is a mod.
      The site is very like the AC and many members are also on the AC.

Erik Simundson

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, forgot to add that they have an English translation feature which is helpful if your French is poor.
      They generally respond in English.

Erik Simundson
      Last edited by erik; 04-21-2014, 08:09 PM. Reason: website address
      Erik Simundson

Comment

Working...
      X