Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal accouterment contractor Rob't Tillson of Quincy Ill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal accouterment contractor Rob't Tillson of Quincy Ill.

I have been working with a Customer on some information for the contractor of Infantry and Cavalry equipments. The company of Robert Tillson and Co. Of Quincy, Ill. I have received a bunch of information from him. He did some digging into the Quincy Historical society as well as a few other sources. As they are not listed in Goods, Dealers and Makers there is not a lot of information readily available on this contractors activities. One of the interesting finds was this company suing the Federal Gov't for non-payment to the tune of over $400,000 which in 1860's prices clearly shows they delivered more than the 5,000 sets of the March 64' pattern accouterments as listed in CW Cartridge boxes of the Union Infantryman. I have in my possession an 1861 pattern cartridge box in V/G condition complete with plate, tin magazines as well as the shoulder belt buckles. The buckles are very interesting in that they are bent wire versus the normal cast steel variety and the finial is more in line with the later style being more acorn shaped then round. Once we finish gathering up and citing all the sources we will do a full right up.
    Mike Brase
    Proprietor
    M.B. Young and Co.
    One of THEM!
    Member Company of Military Historians
Working...
X