Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut Sergeant

Comrades,

While transcribing letters written by a member of the 124th NYSV, the writer uses the term Strut Sergeant. Has anyone heard this term before? It is a first for me. here is the term used in the letter:

"The other day the strut Sergeant came down to our tent and asked for four men to carry boards. There was three or four Irishmen in the tent but there did any one stir. He spoke to one of them and the Irishman said that he was not going to carry boards. So the Sergeant took hold of him to put him out doors, then all of the Irishmen jumped on and kicked him (the Sergeant) out doors. He went and reported them, I saw the general coming so I went out of the tent, but Dan and Hughes, one of the other boys staid in. The guards took both of them out to the guard house. When I went back they said they had taken Dan and Hughes to the guard house. I was in quite a stew for a while, but I wen to the sergeant, and Lieut. And told them who it was and in the afternoon, they gave me a piece of paper and I went and got the boys out. We had a good laugh, I tell you. If I had staid in they would have taken me to, for they would not wait for any explanation. I thought it was best to leave."

Thanks in advance for shedding any light on this subject
    Your Humble Servant,
    Sean R. Otis
    124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
    MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
    Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
    at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Re: Strut Sergeant

Can you post an image of the original writing? First thought is it says something else or maybe started to write sgt and messed up and wrote it again not crossing it out.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Could be that he actually wrote, and was trying to write, Second Sergeant.
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Thanks guys, i'm transcribing off a transcription, I also think its a mistake, but wanted to make sure....will hopefully get to see the originals in coming weeks, and will confirm. Just wondering if it was a slang term that i'd never heard before. Thanks again!
        Your Humble Servant,
        Sean R. Otis
        124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
        MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
        Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
        at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Comment

Probably, strut is used as an adjective here. The verb to strut means 'to walk proudly with your head up and chest out to show that you think you are important' (Oxford Dictionary). The behavior of the sergeant in question was clearly not liked by the author and may also explain the reaction of the (Irish) soldiers in the quote.
          - Raymond Rammeloo
          Raymond Rammeloo

Comment

This may be way off the mark, but I was thinking that perhaps it could be a misspelling of 'street'? Perhaps for a sergeant responsible for discipline or even the construction of the company street?
            Regards

Jeff Turner

Comment

Working...
            X