Bivouac Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bivouac Magazine

I'm trying to locate sources of a post-war magazine called, "Bivouac." I am not positive if it has any relation to The Southern Bivouac magazine, or something entirely different. Any help locating original copies or digital files would be appreciative.
    Thanks,
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Re: Bivouac Magazine

How about this : http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/002909878

I just read the first story in the first volume. Nice source. Hadn't seen it or heard of it before now.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Silas. I think there was another version of this magazine. I've found it referenced in a couple contemporary books, but have not been able to locate the direct source. I have a feeling this might have been a Federal version of the Southern Bivouac.
      Mark Krausz
      William L. Campbell
      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

The first issue of "The Southern Bivouac" was called simply "The Bivouac," after which they changed the name. So these two are one and the same periodical.

I agree - I think you are looking for a different "Bivouac," but I've not seen one.

Geoff Walden

Comment

Terre Lawson posted a link on CWR and I haven't had time to go into further research yet. The articles in The Bivouac were namely CS in nature, and there are three articles at least that were Federal in nature pertaining to one regiment- which for a CS magazine, I would say is pretty odd.
          Mark Krausz
          William L. Campbell
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Mark,

Is there something specific you're looking for? I have the Broadfoot edition of "Southern Bivouac," complete with index, and could check for you. The "First Series" was indeed mainly CS articles, because it was edited by former members of the Kentucky Orphan Brigade, but the "Second Series" was more general, and both contained articles by Federal vets as well.

Geoff Walden

Comment

Hi Geoff,
              There are a couple articles I am trying to get a hold of. I appreciate it.

Vol. II
              Clark, Leach, "The Battle of Pea Ridge." Bivouac Vol. II (Boston, 1884), pp. 362-66

"". "Dreams that Come to Pass, a Thirty-Sixth Illinois Soldier's Dream and Its Fulfillment," Bivouac Vol. II (Boston, 1884), pp. 330-32

"The Thirty-Sixth Illinois and General Gilbert," Bivouac, Vol. II pp.45-46

The Thirty-Sixth Illinois at Cincinatti," Bivouac, Vol. II (Boston, 1884) pp. 131-32
              Mark Krausz
              William L. Campbell
              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Mark,

You're right - that's a different magazine - none of these were in "Southern Bivouac." Sorry!

Geoff Walden

Comment

Working...
                X