Mess Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mess Kit

In reading the history of my unit (1st California/71st Pennsylvania), when the volunteers first reported to Fort Schuyler, they were issued as part of their gear a "mess kit composed of a tin bowel [sic] and pewter plate fastened together by a strap and buckle. Inside the bowel and plate were a knife, fork and spoon".

I have searched to find anything that sounds/looks like what is described but it all seems to be outside our era. Has anyone come across a picture or have another reference to this piece of gear? Just need to be pointed in the right direction as I would like to obtain a reproduction if possible.
    Robert Pardi
    71st PVI, Co. K

Re: Mess Kit

Hmm, sounds a lot like the French style. Borrowed from ACWKnapsacks: http://acwknapsacks.com/images/FrenchEquip.jpg
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Working...
    X