Unfamiliar term "lindey slips"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfamiliar term "lindey slips"

Unpublished letters from a North Carolina soldier mention that he now has "four shirts and three slips." I another place he uses the term "lindey slips. He asks the folks at home to send him some. Has anyone ever come across this term before or does anyone have insight as to what he is referring? This has puzzled a number of us so far. Any insight would be appreciated. Bob
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Re: Unfamiliar term "lindey slips"

Bob,

Apocryphal, but I recall my Grandfather ( Born in 1896 ) calling both undershirts and night shirts " slips ". Your writer isn't from WNC is he? Perhaps a local Appalachian expression ?
    Regarding " lindey ", could that be a bastardization or mis-spelling of linsey ?
    I'll look through some local sources and see if I can find something more definitive.

Regards,
    Kevin Ellis,
    26th NC

Comment

Kevin: I believe he is from western NC. Skip Smith is editing his letters and can give you more info on context. I have always thought "linsey" was a possibility too. Thanks for your input, Pard. bob
      Bob Williams

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob, I found this little bit of info.

Enslaved workers usually received most, if not all, of their clothing as an allowance from their owners. Some owners issued fabric, expecting the slaves to cut and sew their own clothing; some plantation mistresses cut out or supervised the cutting out of garments from plantation-made or purchased cloth, to be made up by slave seamstresses or by the mistress and her daughters; and sometimes ready-made garments or pre-cut garment pieces were imported from northern manufacturers. Mississippi slaveholder Stephen Duncan Jr. allowed the slaves on his Carlisle plantation what one historian has called a “comparatively generous” annual allotment in the 1850s: Men and boys were given eight yards of cotton cloth to make three shirts; five and one-half yards of Lowells or osnaburg for two pair of summer pants; and two and three-quarters yards of jeans for winter pants; plus a coat made from blanket cloth and two pairs of shoes. Girls and women received thirteen yards of shirting for three shifts and a gown; two and one-half yards of Lowells or osnaburg for a petticoat; five yards of linsey for a winter gown; and, if she was a field worker, a blanket coat and two pair of shoes. Women who worked inside received only one pair of shoes and no coat. All children regardless of gender were given one linsey and three cotton “slips” made of about a yard and a half of fabric.

This leads me to believe that Kevin might be right about the shirts.

Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Great info. Thanks very much, Tyler. The attachment article you referenced is outstanding! Bob
          Last edited by roundshot; 05-09-2014, 05:47 AM.
          Bob Williams

Comment

Working...
          X