This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying two haversacks

I had this thought when my haversack I was carrying always seemed to full to carry two. One with my eating utensils, plate and cateen half, cup, and a few poke sacks. The other I put my small bible, playing cards, housewife, and a poke sack containing my tooth brush and a candle. I know most would tell me to wear both and see if its comfortable but I was hoping there would be some documentation to this. Some letters maybe but I was just wondering iff there is any. Thanks
    Last edited by Jeremy Bevard; 05-29-2014, 02:43 PM.
    Hunter Greene
    ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Re: Carrying two haversacks

Get a knapsack if you want to carry non-food items or roll them in your blanket roll. The average CW soldier usually accumulated possessions while in winter camp and left what he could not carry in a pocket or knapsack when campaigning started. Can't say they never carried two haversacks, just have never read anything about anyone doing that. Also, haversacks were nasty pieces of equipment containing grease cast off from whatever meat was in them. That's why so few survive.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

The items you list for the second haversack would go in your knapsack or in your pockets for the most part. Soldiers were issued one haversack for food and food related items. Could a soldier have picked up a second haversack if they wanted it, sure. But why carry the extra weight and why have another strap digging into your shoulder? I believe most would say not to carry two but change how/where items are packed/carried.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

I have never encountered any photographic or documentary evidence to support the carrying of two haversacks. The haversack was for food and utensils. The knapsack, bedroll, or pockets were used for the other items you mention. There is a great deal of evidence for that.
        Scott Cross
        "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Working...
        X