Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform question about the Columbus Depot Arsenal

Hello Authentic Campaigner!

I am new to this site, but have been researching uniforms for a while. I have a question I can not answer.

What type of belt buckle did the Columbus Depot Arsenal produce for the Army of the Tennessee. The few articles i have read go into detail about many things, but the articles do not specificaly say waht type of buckle was used.

Thanks for the help gentleman (and ladies)

Jake Wiedemann
    41st OVI/28th ALA.
    Jake Wiedemann
    41st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
    Army of the Ohio

Regimental researcher for the 41st OVI

Re: Uniform question about the Columbus Depot Arsenal

There is some conjecture that the rounded corner CS plates originated in Columbus. Don Smith always thought so. The attached photo courtesy the Shiloh Relics website. Many had painted enamel backgrounds and they were most common in the AOT.
    Attached Files
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thank you so much for responding!
      that is an interesting belt buckle. Are there any current reproductions that have the enameled backround? What time frame would this buckle be used for, early, mid, or late war?

Thank you again

Jake Wiedemann
      41st OVI/ 28th Alabama
      Jake Wiedemann
      Army of the Ohio

Comment

If you look at all the old North - South Traders magazines carefully, you will note these AOT plates made their debut about Oct 1863 and are found on all sites associated with the AOT until April 1865. At the same time the cast "I" buttons became common also. Many references associate with Atlanta or Tuscalosa. Many of the rounded corner plates have been dug with a black enamal background.

Roger Hansen

Comment

Hallo!

I am not aware of any offered painted.

However, one can pick up a some small bottle of enamel-based model paint and a small hobby paintbrush at a hobby store or even some drug stores that still carry a small model section by the toys often have a Testor's paint rack.

And just an aside.... while obviously rare and unusual items are cool, and obviously a unit being portrayed that had them is the documented and researched why to go-

Sometimes going too rare can get in the way of other units, places, or Time frames being portrayed. This can be particularly true when one starts doing specific events with unit specific impressions being portrayed.
          Just a thought.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you guys! i was hoping for a forked tongue or frame type of buckle coming out of the Columbus Depot Arsenal. The belt i currently wear is the arrow back attachement. i have seen in person 2 examples of this exact belt and i love it. i was hoping to upgrade it, but i have decided against that until the buckle breaks completly.
            Jake Wiedemann
            Army of the Ohio

Comment

Working...
            X