Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help developing a unit specific AOT impression with little information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help developing a unit specific AOT impression with little information

Gents,
    I am conducting research and have met a lot of dead ends. I'm specifically studying the 59th Tennessee Infantry. I would like to develope an accurate impression. I have read some letters I found posted on the USGenweb site. It talked about them ditching all of their uniform jackets, tents, and some other items at the Cumberland Gap. They were allowed two shirts, one pair of pants, two pairs of drawers and a few other basic necessities. They did a lot of local duty in East Tennessee then were sent to Vicksburg. I have read in other accounts from Arthur Fremantle, The Old 19th Tennessee book, and a few other AOT letters and such that the men preferred the garments from home and would wear them instead of depot issues. With this group having to leave their stuff in Cumberland Gap and head to Vicksburg, I would be there would have been a reissuance of gear and clothes. I imagine Columbus Depot or Atlanta Depot would possibly have been issued out there. I'm really not sure if I'm on the right track. I need some input. I'm not really able to find any description of the uniforms or anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

Justin Connor
    Justin Connor

Re: Need some help developing a unit specific AOT impression with little information

Justin,

Luke Gilley, who can be found here: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...82-lukegilly13, has done some research into the CS units that were stationed around Cumberland Gap. Send him a message.

Also, if you have the time/funds, Fold 3 has CSRs for CS regiments. You can probably get an trial account for free as well if you just want to peruse the regimental records.

Good luck!
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Re: Need some help developing a unit specific AOT impression with little information

Justin,
      As Herb said, definitely shoot Luke a message. He is very knowledgeable about things around the Gap.

Also, this jacket is said to have been "captured" at Cumberland Gap:

Better photos and a description of said jacket can be found in the following article:
      The Confederate depot sack coat has been overlooked by Confederate uniformologists, perhaps with good reason: few were made.  Nonetheless, the military sack coat was issued on sufficient enough...

The article also shows a sketch by Alfred R. Waud of a Confederate soldier of the 55th GA, who were captured at Cumberland Gap in 1863.

There is also this jacket, which has been on display at the Lincoln Memorial University near Cumberland Gap. Here is Luke Gilly's description of it:
      It belonged to Timothy Ball of the 25th VA Cav...but it was formed from the 27th Batallion Partisan Rangers under Hodge and Grumble Jones that operated in east TN and SWVA. It is a 6 piece body and 2 piece sleeve with a cotton lining and looks a lot like an RD III, however it has the slash pocket and 6 buttons

(Photo courtesy of Luke Gilly)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	714.9 KB
ID:	224373

Hope this helps pard!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Haversack; 07-09-2014, 01:32 PM.
      Shawn Sturgill
      Governor Guards
      SCAR

Comment

What time frame are you looking at? The 59th was in a lot of different places so they could look different at any given time.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Working...
        X