Which gunsmith for a defarb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which gunsmith for a defarb?

I'm new and have been looking for a defarbed musket. I have narrowed it down to three smiths.

Lodgewood, Todd Watts, or Mr Zimmerman.

Any pros or cons for each?

Mr Zimmerman has most in stock.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Mike Crane
    Michael Crane

Re: Which gunsmith for a defarb?

All you have to do is search Todd Watts defarb on here and you'll get all the discussion and picture evidence you need to know his work.
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

I've been very pleased with the work I have had done by Lodgewood. Todd Watts, also mentioned, is first-rate, too.
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

David at Lodgewood is both a heck of a nice guy to deal with and knowledgeable as all get-out. When I've had a question about an original, his usual response is "hang on a second, I can go pull one off the wall". I have 2 muskets built by David @ Lodgewood. A M1855 all iron with original functional lockplate and patchbox that started as a Miroku M1861 and a 1802 Virginia Manufactory drum conversion. Both are first rate. Plus he has defarbed my M1842. I'd send him another one if I had it.

As usual, just my .02¢ for what its worth.
        Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
        44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Watts, hands down bar-none. 2nd choice would be Lodgewood. Zimmerman's work is okay on the US models only. His Enfield is mostly a fantasy of his own making. Mixed proof marks, oddball historical feature mistakes, etc. Why he does this I can't answer. Further, it is probably important to ask this...what model are you wanting done? It affects the recommendation in this way:

1. Watts does the best work, certainly on the Enfield, but he does not keep any "stock" per se. You would have to buy an Enfield, 1842 or US 1861 and ship it to him.

2. Lodgewood keeps most models in stock, his Enfield is not quite as good mostly because they don't duplicate the variety of makers Watts does (they offer a Tower 1862 only) and the gunstock is not re-porportioned to the contours of the original like Watts does it.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hallo!

Per Herr Craig above... in one word: yup.

Or to be long winded, there are "defarbs," and then there are "defarbs," and then there is Todd's work.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I'd hate to be the small dog talking to the big ones (Craig and Curt), but Lodgewood does several different Enfield makers. here are his 2 links:

&

And here is this page with the locks:

This time, I think its more than .02¢, lets go with a whole nickel.
              Last edited by mike44thva; 08-06-2014, 01:19 PM. Reason: forgot lockplate link
              Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Hallo!

Thanks for sharing, and the update.

"Lodgewood" has upped their game. Glad to see it!!

Curt
                Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Mike,

Thank you for sharing! I haven't hit the parts of their website that deal in repros for quite some time!

Also, I saw the drum converted Virginia flint that you purchased. That is a VERY nice piece!

The last time I was at their shop, they had the lock, barrel, and a couple other parts from a CS "brazed breech" conversion of a US M1822 flintlock. That would be a fantastic custom build CS musket.

Upped their game, indeed!
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Mr. Wickett, yes they have really upped their game, which is a good thing. I think some of it has been "the hobby" wanting more options.

After getting my M1855 with patchbox and orig. lockplate (Dream Gun #2) from them I thought I was done since nobody made a VA Manufactory conversion (Dream Gun #1). Needless to say I'm still pinching myself.

I have an AS Enfield I'm thinking about either defarbing or selling. The page with the comparison pics of his defarb vs. an original is also an excellent page they put on their site. It really shows you what your getting.
                    Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Hallo!

"The page with the comparison pics of his defarb vs. an original is also an excellent page they put on their site. It really shows you what your getting."

IMHO, that is a Light Bulb or "D 'oh! moment.
                      Meaning when one is an educated consumer and an informed customer on the History-Heavy side.. on can look at what is not right in/on the originals and know it is not right on the reproductions or defarbs "just because." By using pictures of originals, the Italian repros, and defarb work, it helps potential buyers "get it (more) right."

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Agreed! In a lot of cases, I know what I want out of a product... what I want to know is, does the vendor understand what I'm after. The pictures answer that question.
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I haven't dealt with Lodgewood, but I've had two guns defarbed by Todd Watts and will probably be sending him one again soon. Great work by a great guy who's a pleasure to do business with.
                          Matt Lakin
                          Rat Tail Mess/SCAR

"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools." Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I personally have had a bad experience with Mr. Zimmerman. I purchased a new/unused 1842 by Zimmerman from someone else and the aftermarket blued parts he installed had problems; the front band spring broke and the second time I used it the sear chipped and would not hold. I contacted him, not expecting warranty work, but just to inquire about purchasing parts and was treated very rudely. I'll never buy another Zimmerman product. On the other hand, as a museum director, I have purchased both 1861s and 1842s for our programs from Lodgewood and couldn't be happier.
                            Last edited by Pennvolunteer; 08-08-2014, 08:11 AM. Reason: clarifiacation
                            Frank Siltman
                            24th Mo Vol Inf
                            Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                            Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                            Company of Military Historians
                            Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Wow! I'm with Curt. Pleasant surprise. Lodgewood has really expanded their offerings since the last time I visited their booth at the Nashville Gun Show a year or so back. The new contractor plates look good. At that time they were not re-contouring the stock, looks like they offer that service, too.

I doubt you would be disappointed in either Todd Watts or Lodgewood. The other thing about Lodgewood is their inventory of original parts if you really want to splurge. That can get into your pockets in a major way, though.
                              Craig L Barry
                              Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                              Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                              Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                              Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                              X