Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charleston area C.S. Artillery uniforms

Gents,

Recently I have discovered two G Grandfathers who served in the heavy artillery around the Charleston area, one was a transfer from the 4th South Carolina Cavalry who joined the Gist Guard Artillery in 1864 and the other was a very young solider who joined the 1st South Carolina Artillery also in 1864. During my research I found an QM document from the Gist Guard from June 1864 asking for "Artillery" Pants, Jackets, & Caps. This has lead me to examine the Conrad Wise Chapman paintings of the Charleston area (the MOC has them online, and zoomable as well!) I found that while he painted infantry units in a mix of uniforms and colors, his artillerymen are pretty consistent: grey jackets trimmed in red collars and cuffs, caps with red bands (or sometimes all red caps), and light blue pants usually trimmed in red. This would seem to support the QM document. Are there any surviving Artillery uniforms I.D. to the Charleston area? I have seen a photo of a man from the 2nd (?) SC artillery in what looks like a regulation double breasted blouse....

Will MacDonald

Re: Charleston area C.S. Artillery uniforms

Will, I seem to remember seeing an artillery uniform identified to a Charleston battery. When I get home from work I will do some checking through my photographs.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Charleston's Washington Artillery UniformClick image for larger version

Name:	5293e5bfe69757af0e1f554bbc1e14f9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	224398

Coat worn by Capt. Willis Wilkinson Click image for larger version

Name:	9693a4e91f748a2f19b9d377e5746e93.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	224399

Here is a link to another frock identified to SC. http://www.oldsouthantiques.com/os1867p1.htm

I know they are officer uniforms but I hope this helps Will.
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

And don't forget the familiar Palmetto Light Artillery photo by Cooke. See attached.
        Attached Files
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Will,
          IMHO simply identifying uniforms with a SC provenance that have Artillery branch of service trim may not really confirm what was happening for a specific unit (or units) especially that late in the War.

More important is what kind of QM document (e.q. Special Requisition #40 or a letter to of from a Depot or something else?) and upon whom was it placed (CS or State)? The answers to those questions may be of help in answering the question of what was being actually issued in that time frame. Typically for items needed to replace worn out clothing the Battery Commander (Captain or equivalent) would requisition items which ultimately were issued through the Regiment or Battalion AQM. The AQM's were actually part of the QM Department but assigned to a specific Regiment or Battalion. Knowing where the AQM reports will help determine the supply chain back to the Depot. The requisitions were usually filled out of a specific Depot from items supplied from one of the Clothing Bureau's. Sounds straight forward enough but often it is not possible to trace back all of those links even if the issue is documented.

Since there was a Clothing Bureau and associated Depot in Charleston it has generally been assumed that clothing issued through the CS QM to troops defending the City most likely was sourced on that operation. However, the QM Dept. could and did send clothing between Depots to meet "spot" demand. If these units were still State troops when they received their initial uniforms those may have come through through the State QM. Had they been mustered into CS service at this point?

Requisitions (with fulfillment) of branch of service specific items was also quite rare particularly late in the War but not unheard of. In January, 1864 at least 3 Batteries of 3rd Corps (ANV) artillery received large quantities of "Red Caps" while in Winter Camp in Virginia. so even at this point the Richmond Clothing Bureau, for example, was still attempting to deliver such things but as I say it was rare based upon what records still exist. However there is also strong evidence that jackets issued to the same batteries that spring were generic RD2 style garments without designation of the branch of service.

Hope this helps in tracking down the answers to your questions.

Dick Milstead
          Hardaway's Alabama Battery
          The Company of Military Historians
          Richard Milstead

Comment

Working...
          X