Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain Hat Gear

Gents-

Its been pouring rain off and on where I live for two days. When this weather hits I start to think about how the "boys" in the field would have muddled through or what they would have worn to keep the rain off of them. So I started looking around to see if I could find any CW rain hat gear and I found the following in the picture below. It reportedly belonged to a Lt. Abner St. Cyr of Company G, 4th Minnesota Infantry.
    Attached Files
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Rain Hat Gear

Starr's Battery of North Carolina Artillery was issued in 1862 ....

5 guard coats (ponchos)
    5 guard caps

I'm pretty sure they looked like the photo posted above.
    David H. Thomas
    Starr's NC Battery
    Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Re: Rain Hat Gear

I have a painted cloth cap cover, made by Mike Brase, that does the trick. It rains here in Oregon more than it suns so it gets a workout!
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
      X