Fuel Return Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Return Info

So, we're in a position to do the right paperwork properly at an upcoming event... and I need data.

For the fuel return, we need to notate how much wood our post kitchen uses by the cord, feet, and inches.
    Any ideas on how to figure that?
    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Re: Fuel Return Info

I possess a form in PDF format adopted from an official form. My form lists the amount of cordage based upon the number and type of officers present and enlisted present. It was created for the last big Perryville. It contains the winter allowance, not the non-winter allowance. I'll look for it tonight and post it.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Silas,

What other forms do you have? It's a huge gaping whole in my company's impression and I would love to bring a solution to the problem rather than continue to lament it.
      Jeremiah Boring
      Co. B, 1st USSS

Comment

I had completely forgotten that I posted it on my links page two years ago. Here's the direct link : http://44tennessee.tripod.com/drill/...quisitions.pdf

I have other forms and reports lined here : http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm#N_18a_
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Comment

What other forms do you need or want, Jeremiah? Morning reports? Officer's appointments? NCO warrants? What scenarios do you want to do? Please contact me at the Adjutant Supply Company. I might be able to help.

Your ob't servant,
          Tom Williams
          4th Virginia Infantry
          Indianapolis
          Tom Williams

Comment

I've seen some of Tom's handiwork. It's well done.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Comment

Do you mean how to actually calculate the number of cords (feet, inches) used?

Seems like you'd need to measure the wood at the start, then again at the end of the period, subtract the difference, and that would be the amount used--daily, weekly, whenever it was measured.

Based on here: http://books.google.com/books?id=02e...20wood&f=false

You'd measure the length, breadth and height of the stack in feet at the start and divide by 128. Measure again at the end and divide that by 128 also. Subtract the second total from the first and that would give the number of cords and decimal fractions of cords (not fractional cubic feet and inches, you'd need to convert those).

You probably won't use anywhere near a whole cord, so it might be easier to calculate it in cubic feet to start.

In that case, you could measure in feet, rounding off inches to the nearest half-foot (a stack 18" high would equal 1.5 feet high, for example). Multiply length times breadth times depth, and use that for the first number. Do the same with the leftover wood. Subtract the difference, and that would be the number of "feet" (cubic feet) to enter on the form, rounded to the nearest foot.

For example:
              Starting pile is 4' x 4' x 2.5' = 40 cubic feet
              Ending pile is 4' x 4' x 1' = 16 cubic feet

Subtract 40-16=24 to get the number of cubic feet used. You'd enter 0 cords, 24 "feet," 0 inches on the form. It would be much less than a cord, and the inches would be rounded off.

If you need to meet the standards of a truly obsessive inspector who wants the exact inches, you could measure the wood in inches and convert to cubic feet and cubic inches, but I think it violates the Lieber Code to require a clerk to do those calculations with paper and pencil during wartime. :)

Hank Trent
              hanktrent@gmail.com
              Hank Trent

Comment

Thanks for the responses, Fellows. You've been a help.
                We didn't get to actually do the Fuel Returns at the event, but I enjoyed exploring what all the forms were and how they were used.
                -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Working...
                X