Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartographer and topographer supplies

Good morning,

I am developing a first person impression related to my profession as a geologist. Many geologist during the war worked as cartographers/topographers. Their role ranged from rough field maps from personal observation in the field to creating final detailed maps for commanders etc. I have found a solid initial chunk of information on the subject but am looking for some leads on original or reproduction map making tools. I am primarily looking for an accurate ruler or measuring scale small enough to pack on campaign. Eventually I would like to find a transit, tripod, and anything else that would have been used by forward map makers. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Patrick Ferringer
    Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
    SCAR

Re: Cartographer and topographer supplies

I don't know of a specific place, except spending a lot of time in antique stores hunting or on eBay. I just saw a surveyor's transit and tripod in an antiques mall three weeks ago, so they are out there.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

From what I discovered in developing a "Topog" impression is that lightness counts! When you are in the field preparing a sketch map, you don't need a transit or a plane table. Using your field book in place of a plane table, and orienting it w/ a simple pocket compass works well. My source was a textbook written by a Capt. Lendy in 1864 called Military Surveying and Topographical Sketching I sent it to a friend who leads a Corps of Topographical Engineers Reenactment group (1850's). look them up at www.topogs.org .In their site are several period textbooks (inc. Lendy's) on the subject. I would be happy to talk further w/ you
      Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
      Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
      Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
      Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
      Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Thanks, Tom. Just like modern field mapping, being able to cover ground would be efficiently would be essential. I was thinking a sketchbook, period compass, and a small field improvised pocket scale rule (need to research further). A period transit would be a fine collector item but would not be used for the impression.
        Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
        SCAR

Comment

Hi Pat. I haven't been active in the hobby for several years, and I have toyed with the idea of selling off some of my stuff. I have a 19th C. architects pocket scale, a number of wood triangles, and additional drafting gear. It's all packed away in the depths of a storage locker. I will try to get into it to see if I can dig it out sometime between now and Mon. You can message me or my e-mail thomas.v.smith@netscape.com
          Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
          Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
          Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
          Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
          Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

There was a regular contributor to Professional Surveyor magazine a few years back and would have a monthly column where he would talk at great length about equipment or individuals from certain periods. Italian last name is the best I can offer tonight and he's written a couple of books. You might check with those folks.
            Mike Stein
            Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Thanks, Mike. I will do some digging and see if I can find that.
              Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
              SCAR

Comment

The fellow I was trying to remember is Silvio Bedini. Here's a link to an article about him in Professional Surveyor. The full archive is available on line.
                Last edited by Marine Mike; 11-02-2014, 08:14 PM. Reason: splng
                Mike Stein
                Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Thanks, Mike.
                  Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
                  SCAR

Comment

Working...
                  X