Hughes, Pendergrass and Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes, Pendergrass and Snow

I was going through the business files of Hughes, Pendergrass and Snow. They entered into a contract with Maj. M.H Wright of the Atlanta Arsenal for webbing and webbing only. In the Articles of agreement they produced enough shoulder belt and canteen webbing for around 14,000 sets I based these numbers off of the regulations from the Ordnance Manual minus the billet ends on the shoulder belt. Based on the surviving documentation some questions were made based off of the width of the shoulder belt and the belt shown on page 199 of EoG. I will summarize as follows.

1.) The webbing delivered for shoulder belts was to be 1 3/4 inches wide. The sling on page 199 is more like 2.25 or wider.

2.) Once the webbing was turned into the Arsenal it was then turned into shoulder belts and canteen slings once this was done it basically consumed the item and all identification as being from H,P&S or any other webbing manufactured and contracted for Maj. by M.H. Wright. Therefore making a positive ID of webbing H,P&S produced very difficult at best to figure out.

My conclusion is that the webbing shown on page 199 is most definitely not produced by Hughes Pendergrass and Snow. At least not under the contract for shoulder belts and canteen slings. In further looking at the sling on page 199, I would not be surprised if the sling actually started out life originally as a surcingle. It appears in the photo to be cut to shorten it.
    Mike Brase
    Proprietor
    M.B. Young and Co.
    One of THEM!
    Member Company of Military Historians

Re: Hughes, Pendergrass and Snow

Mike,

Did you see the March 7th 1863 contract? That one was for 3000 sets of Accoutrements, the shoulder belt to be leather tipped cotton webbing.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Re: Hughes, Pendergrass and Snow

Did not, what page number is it in their file?

- - - Updated - - -

Looked again. I can see where a contract was entered into. I didn't find a record of deliveries however.
      Mike Brase
      Proprietor
      M.B. Young and Co.
      One of THEM!
      Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
      X