Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Possible Missouri State Guard arm badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Possible Missouri State Guard arm badge?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lt. John F. Rucker, Sturgeon Invincibles of the 3rd Division - Missouri State Guard.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	231261

A member of the Sturgeon Invisibles 3rd Division MSG--- on his shoulder is a possible MSG badge designating military service. Came in many colors. Picture from another website so I do not own it...
    CS Uniforms
    To Arliskas
    Tom Arliskas

Re: A Possible Missouri State Guard arm badge?

Tom

This is an interesting image. I have not heard of the use of this type of badge being used. The man's shirts collar is of lighter colored material.
    William Carr

Comment

Hello Bill! How are you? There has been a little controversy on the question of arm bands, or pieces of cloth sewn to the shoulder of MSG soldiers to distinguish them from the many Federal Home Guard units they were patrolling Missouri at the same time. At the Battle of Wilson's Creek, there are several contemporary quotes of the issue of white bands, or yellow, or red pieces of cloth, to different State Regiments also, Arkansas, Texas, or Louisiana to distinguish them form the Federal Regiments who were in Gray uniforms like them.

We have never had [or at least I have never seen] an MSG with what appears to be a shoulder tab of some kind-- which would help support the text. There is another photo of an unidentified soldier from Arkansas wearing some kind of diamond patch on his arm--could or could not be a Trans-Mississippi soldier wearing a military patch.

Hope to see you soon-- Going to the Company Meeting in Richmond Virginia next year--maybe then
      CSuniforms
      Tom Arliskas
      Tom Arliskas

Comment

Hello Tom. Are you sure it is a Missouri State Guard arm badge? I am not questioning you, but there were times that American military junior officers wore one shoulder strap to show rank.
        I will almost certainly go to Richmond.

You seem to choose speaking dates that conflict with my wife’s events. I told my wife I was going to Wisconsin next month to hear you instead of helping her; however she claims to have veto power.
        William Carr

Comment

Working...
        X