Suggestions for a defarb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a defarb

i have found a vintage Armisport ( early 90's) and i want to have it defarbed.

My impression is CSA only, AOT and mid to late war.

I am considering either Todd Watts or Lodgewood, both top notch from what i have read. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Richard Schimenti
    2nd Kentucky Cav. Co. D. Morgan's Raiders

Re: Suggestions for a defarb

Richard, here is a thread on the same topic that was started three months ago. You should find the information you are looking for.

Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

thank you Tyler.......i spoke with Dave at Lodgewood and he is truly great to talk too. My only concern is that he leaves everything bright. I do CSA only and Mid to late war AOT.....i know the bright finish will dull in a while, but is this correct ?
      Richard Schimenti

Comment

Hallo!

Short answer is yes.

Historically, while "Enfields" left their factories with their as-made "color," some were arsenal "struck bright."

It is NUG believed that they were struck bright to make them visually appear "on par" or not mixed-and-matched in regiments armed with "Springfields."

As a Reenactorism or Hobbyism, numbers of so-called defarbed Enfields were struck bright because when the bogus Modern Italian barrel stampings were removed, it would then require that the barrels be reblued and lads either did not have access, did not want to pay for modern tank bluing, or did not like the crappy results achieved by most "over the counter" cheapy cold blues.
        Which was nice because of the actual CW struck bright ones.

Yes, unless constantly repolished n a modern way (read as buffing wheels and buffing compound versus Period field maintenance of emory or wood ash paste...) steel parts will age and "dull" on their own.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

thanks Curt and Tyler...
          Richard Schimenti

Comment

Working...
          X