Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1863 Tower Enfield Percussion 2 Band Short Musket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1863 Tower Enfield Percussion 2 Band Short Musket?

Well, just picked up another neat musket and need some help identifying some of the proofs, etc. My limited research talks about a 1863 Tower Enfield Percussion 2 Band Short Musket being produced with the barrel reduced by 6 inches, and can be identified by the fact it has only two metal bands securing the barrel to the stock. In British service it was issued to rifleman skirmishers and to sergeants in the line regiments. Many were procured for service in the Civil War. I don't know if that is what I have?

My measurements are 45 1/2 overall length with a 29 inch barrel.

Any help on the proofs would be appreciated. I did find that the "25" represented the bore gauge number (25 gauge was considered the regulation bore size - .577 caliber) .

Thanks in advance.

Nevins Frankel
    RESEARCH WebSite: 1863 Tower Enfield Percussion 2 Band Short Musket
    RESEARCH WebSite: Model 1842 Percussion Infantry Musket
    RESEARCH WebSite: W. Richards Double Barrel (Breech-Loading) Shotgun

Re: 1863 Tower Enfield Percussion 2 Band Short Musket?

Looks like it started life as a P-53. See the excess stock where it was narrowed down to fit the nose cap. Drop the ramrod into the barrel and see if it is the correct length. Most period cut downs I have seen have the correct length ramrod for the cut down barrel. May or may not be threaded or may have hand drawn threads. Can you get a better close up of the mark behind the trigger guard? I like the cut down Enfields. Also have a 63 which is cut but not as carefully as the yours. It has an oral provenance to a trooper in the 9th Va. Cav.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cutdown enfield.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	224500
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Re: 1863 Tower Enfield Percussion 2 Band Short Musket?

Thanks a bunch for the information. I tried pulling out the Ramrod but it wouldn't budge and I was afraid to force it or remove the bands for fear of damaging something. Yes, I am a rookie at this! :)

I did take the pictures - thanks again.

Nevins Frankel
      RESEARCH WebSite: 1863 Tower Enfield Percussion 2 Band Short Musket
      RESEARCH WebSite: Model 1842 Percussion Infantry Musket
      RESEARCH WebSite: W. Richards Double Barrel (Breech-Loading) Shotgun

Comment

Working...
      X