Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue of Blankets

Hello Folks,

I have been studying the logistical system of the Confederate forces in Virginia during the late war period for about two years now for the constant improving of my Confederate impression. For every source I find on blankets and issuing of blankets there is always a source to object or contradict the former (as is the case with every resource on the Civil War). I am trying to finally top off my late war Confederate impression and have hit a snag with the blanket. So I have these following questions: 1) What kind of blanket would a Confederate soldier have in the trenches defending Petersburg and Richmond? Being that there is little to know maneuvering during the siege, I feel like a Confederate soldier would be hard pressed to be able to acquire Federal issue items unless by relieving them from captured skirmishers or deserters. 2) Would a Confederate be more likely to have a Confederate manufactured blanket, a US blanket, a British/other European blanket, a home-spun blanket? 3) When all is said and done where can I find one of these items?

I look to your guidance and knowledge. From a mere youth striving for improvement, I look to you all who have been doing this for far longer than I to offer me assistance.

Thank you
    Best regards,

Zachary Pittard

Re: Issue of Blankets

Good evening!
    This site may be of some help to you:
    The Confederate Soldier at Fort Mahone, Battle of Petersburg, April 2, 1865 by Fred Adolphus, 21 July 2013 The wartime photographer, Thomas C. Roche, left a profound legacy with his images taken on...

Mr Adolphus is a member of this forum and hopefully will see and comment on the thread.
    As weird and strange as it sounds, go to the Library of Congress website and take some time to look through the Fort Mahone images of dead confederates. There are at least two that I can think of right off that have bed rolls on. Maybe you can make out some defining details from the HD versions.
    Possibility...call a few historical sites and museums in the area of you do not live near there. See if they have any on display that was recovered from local battlefields or campsites. Pamplin Park comes to mind but it's been years since I've been there (can't remember if they had many original artifacts or not).
    Might be worth your while to go as far as Appomattox and see if they have anything that was at the surrender.

Hope this helps.
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Thank you kindly. I'll be sure to check it all out.
      Best regards,

Zachary Pittard

Comment

I have hunted the trenches about Petersburg for many years. Based on what I recovered there was no shortage of Federal equipment in CS positions. Of course no blankets were found but many US plates, knapsack hooks, sling hooks, poncho grommets etc. were dug. In addition accounts of CS sharpshooter raid's on Union lines around Petersburg tote the amount of Union equipment snatched up during these raids. Also there was much US material likely recovered by the CS quartermaster from the Overland Campaign battle fields. Chamberlain also mentions the Confederate use of shelter halves at Appomattox. IMO the most common blanket used by Confederates around Petersburg would have been a US issue.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
        X