What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

For years I was under the impression this was a British import haversack, however I have not seen any style of British bag from before during or after the American Civil War that looks like this. I have one by a different maker, bought it on a whim, and has British markings on it as well. Any help figuring out if this in an authentic style bag or Farby BS is appreciated.
    Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
    Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
    5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Re: What is this?

Hallo!

Image is missing on my screen?

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,
      "after the American Civil War that looks like this"

The this is a hyperlink
      Bob Manzo
      Formerly of the 12th VA Inf Co G "Richmond Grays"

Comment

Easy to find link : http://boydmiles.homestead.com/files/BritHaver.jpg I, too, used to do links buried within text until it became obvious folks were missing them. Doing the old fashioned way isn't as tech savy, but it does assist the reader to what you want him/her to see.

Since I see it a bag featured by Boyd Miles, what does he say about it? He doesn't come here often so you might want to contact him via his webpage.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

From his website: "I first made this haversack in 1977 for Craig Carroll. The pattern being taken form an original owned by the late Fred Fleming of NC. Originals were British made for export and are not the same as issued to British troops. I have also spoken to another collector that at one time owned one with Confederate markings. The bag is plain canvas with two leather closure straps. The shoulder strap is narrow webbing much like canteen straps." I used his images just because they were easily accessible.
          Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
          Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
          5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Working...
          X