Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenth US Infantry's M1841 Mississippi Rife

Gents,
    I'm looking for any information on what version of the M1841 Mississippi Rifle was issued to the Tenth US Infantry in 1855, and subsequently used during the Utah War (1857-1858). The information will be used to help interpret the 10th Infantry at Camp Floyd State Park and Museum.

Chuck Mood
    Park Ranger - Camp Floyd State Park
    Charles W. Mood

Re: Tenth US Infantry's M1841 Mississippi Rife

In reference to the above post, there is a M1841 Mississippi Rifle at the Fort Douglas Museum in Salt Lake City, Utah, that is believed to be from Camp Floyd and possibly from the 10th US Infantry. A sign under the rifle states that "(a)ccording to family tradition, this particular rifle was purchased from the Army at Camp Floyd by a Mormon settler named John Felt in exchange for produce. Felt had immigrated to Utah from Sweden in 1857. This rifle may be one of the only known examples brought to Utah with Johnston's Army. The end of the muzzle is made for the very early M1855 bayonet (no attaching bar) and the first band is odd in that the opening is flat versus the nice double curve for the cut-out.
    Attached Files
    Charles W. Mood

Comment

Re: Tenth US Infantry's M1841 Mississippi Rife

Hallo!

My monitor is not that big, and the image is fuzzy but...

It looks a lot like the iron nose cap from a M1822 to me (aka "M1816"). If so, I suspect the original was (somehow) lost and a convenient replacement found in the M1822 band.
      Whether by a armorer or by a family member in 1890 or a dealer in 1940 it is hard to tell. ;)

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
      X