Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedersoli Lorenz

Gentlemen,

Curious to see if I could get an update on the production of a Pedersoli Lorenz, I sent their customer service an email inquiry. I received this email in return:

Dear Mr. Taylor,

Thank you for your inquiry. We are more than glad to inform you that for the second half of the year (could be from September) we should be ready with the Lorenz rifle.

I am attaching a picture and here below the description that will be soon in our web site.

1854 LORENZ INFANTRY RIFLE TIPE II ( S.183 )
    Conceived by the Austrian Lieutenant Joseph Lorenz, the rifle’s official production started in 1854, replacing the Augustin rifle among the Austrian troops, demonstrating from the very beginning, its supremacy over the former rifle. It was used in Italy during the second Independence War, as well as in the Balkans. It was then largely exported to America, equipping both the Union and the Confederate armies, becoming one of the most used rifles during the years of the American Civil War.
    SKU Mod. 010S183540
    Grooves 4
    Twist 1:78 3/4"
    Barrel length 37"
    Overall length 53"
    Weight 9 lbs
    Ball/bullet size .540 Long
    Bullet mould U305-540

Stay in touch with us for further updates.

Best regards,
    Customer service
    DAVIDE PEDERSOLI & C.

It seems the date may have been moved back yet again, but at least they are offering more information on the weapon. Fingers crossed production will be sooner than later. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these!
    Last edited by Sousa526; 02-15-2017, 02:57 PM.
    Mackenzie Taylor
    Dardanelle, Arkansas

Liberty Rifles, WIG

"At every town and station, citizens and ladies were waving their handkerchiefs and hurrahing for Jeff Davis and the Southern Confederacy" -Sam Watkins, 1st TN, Company H

Comment

Mr.Taylor your response from Pedersoli stated a "pic" was attached to your email, can you post the pic please?
      Thanks,

Chad Phillips

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1452.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	225235

Gentlemen, attached above is the picture that Pedersoli sent me of their Lorenz prototype. Enjoy!
        Mackenzie Taylor
        Dardanelle, Arkansas

Liberty Rifles, WIG

"At every town and station, citizens and ladies were waving their handkerchiefs and hurrahing for Jeff Davis and the Southern Confederacy" -Sam Watkins, 1st TN, Company H

Comment

Thanks for posting that picture! The ramrod doesn't have the characteristic brass coating. If I'm not mistaken, they opted for the extra-long range rear sight rather than the simpler flip-up or wedge style. What are everyone's thought?
          Dave Schwartz,
          Company B, 79th NY Vols.
          (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

It looks pretty good from the picture. I just hope it isn't oversize too badly. The ramrod appears to lack the brass siding. Is that the only picture they sent? I would like to know if they managed to correctly reproduce the ramrod channel.

Garrett Glover
            Garrett Glover

Comment

Garrett,

Unfortunately, this was the only picture they provided in the email. Wish I had more!

Mackenzie Taylor
              Mackenzie Taylor
              Dardanelle, Arkansas

Liberty Rifles, WIG

Comment

Woo Hoo! It looks just like my original. I wonder if it has the cheek piece? My original does not, by the way. The good thing is they can use that crappy european beechwood and it will be totally correct.
                Mark Hubbs
                My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Comment

If the rifle is as good as the picture, they will should sell quite a few. I will definitely buy one. To have a repop rifle that is SAFE to shoot and is authentically accurate will be a real treat. It will also fill that huge void for units that carried the Lorenz. Thank you Pedersoli!

Now I wonder if they would do a Saxon Dresden 1857.......one can only dream.
                  Douglas Urbanski
                  1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
                  Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
                  William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
                  Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
                  David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
                  Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Comment

I hope that down the road one can either have the option of the v-sight or the long rang sight. Or maybe include both so the user can install the one of his choice. This also might encourage a few innovators to make repop v-sights for aftermarket sale. I prefer the v-sight myself.
                    Douglas Urbanski
                    1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
                    Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
                    William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
                    Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
                    David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
                    Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Comment

Originally posted by Taji04 View Post
                      I hope that down the road one can either have the option of the v-sight or the long rang sight. Or maybe include both so the user can install the one of his choice. This also might encourage a few innovators to make repop v-sights for aftermarket sale. I prefer the v-sight myself.
                      FWIW the company that distributes those Indian-made Lorenz kits sells both the short and medium-range sight as a separate part. To helps folks visualize, below is an original diagram of the short and medium-range sights from an Austrian training manual.

Last edited by LeftCoastYank; 02-20-2017, 12:44 PM.
                      Dave Schwartz,
                      Company B, 79th NY Vols.

Comment

I believe a potential problem with switching sights out will be the base length. The block sights are shorter, which would mean that if they decided to offer one model, you would have to make a custom block sight with a longer base. On the other hand, maybe they would offer the block sights or the long range sights as two different models.
                        Mark Krausz
                        William L. Campbell
                        Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                        Old Northwest Volunteers
                        Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Gents,

Pedersoli now has the Lorenz listed on their website, if your interested, here is the link to the site:

Davide Pedersoli sells and produces reproductions of Muzzle Loading Rifles such as Lorenz Rifle Infantry Type II Rifle of the product line 1854 Lorenz Infantry Rifle

-Mackenzie Taylor
                          Mackenzie Taylor
                          Dardanelle, Arkansas

Liberty Rifles, WIG

Comment

Here's some video of Pedersoli's prototype Lorenz.

Dave Schwartz,
                            Company B, 79th NY Vols.

Comment

Word around the campfire is the selling price of the Lorenz repro is $1795 (per DP dealer Flintlocks, Etc).
                              Craig L Barry
                              Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                              Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                              Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                              Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

At that price point they must expect to sell only a relatively few to a hardcore group of shooters/reenactors and are trying to make up for their investment that way.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Working...
                                X