Pedersoli Lorenz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedersoli Lorenz

Right. I also believe there are still some original M 1854 Austrian Rifles in shooting condition which are available for less. I suppose when the supply catches up with the pent up demand, the price will drop but that is not a realistic pricing point for a reproduction.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I agree with Mr.Barry that is totally out of reach for many reenactors and living historians, plus if you had that amount of cash in hand would you really want to pay it for a repro? That's more than I paid for both of my type 1 originals !! And they are in shootable condition with .54 bores
      Thanks,

Chad Phillips

Comment

Any update as to the status of their reproduction? Any date which it might come out or anything?
        Boone Dodson

Comment

The reproduction 1854 Lorenz is listed in the online catalog on the Pedersoli website, but I don't think they are available yet. Your best bet would probably be to contact a D. Pedersoli retailer like Dixie Gun Works or Cherry's for ordering information.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Has anyone gotten a chance to see one of these up close yet? Just curious....
            ​Andy Johnson

Comment

The rifle is up on Pedersoli's online catalog. No MSRP though, but Dixie has it for $1500. One glaring, unauthentic but must be ignored to use it item is the stock. It is made of American walnut. It looks good at first glance compared to my original. No date stamped on the lock plate, and the parts are not number with a matching 2 digit number like the original. It will need to be defarbed by moving the lettering to underneath the barrel. The stock contour looks good, but I would like to see it side by side with an original. It does have the long range sight and cheek swell on the stock. The original I have has no cheek swell and the short sight. Overall a great looking rifle. Over priced?? Maybe.
              Douglas Urbanski
              1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
              Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
              William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
              Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
              David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
              Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the two compare side by side. The wood they chose doesn't necessarily bother me- I know it's not correct, but as you can see in the attached picture, the wood varied greatly in color.

The flip side with cheek rest is not necessarily "wrong." Most folks are familiar with block sight with cheek rest, or flip sight without cheek rest. But are examples of a flip sights with a cheek rest. The nice part of this is that one could purchase a Lorenz barrel for the block sight and swap barrels for the impression they so desired. Granted, there's examples of both sides using block and flip sights.

I imagine a jeweler could etch the year digits on the lock and the digits on the bands, and would simply be a labor of love as is defarbing our pieces. $1500 is not terrible, but nor is it ideal. Given time, they may come down in price hopefully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1524055792617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	225531
                Mark Krausz
                William L. Campbell
                Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                Old Northwest Volunteers
                Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

As always, the market is going to bear what the market is going to bear. There are only a few manufacturers of Civil War era reproduction firearms in the world. This is a niche market. I don't have $1500 for a new gun of any kind, and as I already have competition-worthy guns for both Musket and Carbine, I don't even need another one. So I'm not going to be buying one of these any time soon, either. But I am glad that there are companies in the world willing to make them and I hope that there will always be companies making them when I do want to buy one. There are a lot of people who like to say, "I can buy an original for that" and indeed you can, if you want a worn-out looking thing. It might even be "shootable". But if you want one that looks brand new pristine like a brand new reproduction, you're looking at $3000+ most of the time. Probably more like $5000+.

Steve
                  Steve Sheldon

Comment

Originally posted by maillemaker View Post
                    As always, the market is going to bear what the market is going to bear. There are only a few manufacturers of Civil War era reproduction firearms in the world. This is a niche market. I don't have $1500 for a new gun of any kind, and as I already have competition-worthy guns for both Musket and Carbine, I don't even need another one. So I'm not going to be buying one of these any time soon, either. But I am glad that there are companies in the world willing to make them and I hope that there will always be companies making them when I do want to buy one. There are a lot of people who like to say, "I can buy an original for that" and indeed you can, if you want a worn-out looking thing. It might even be "shootable". But if you want one that looks brand new pristine like a brand new reproduction, you're looking at $3000+ most of the time. Probably more like $5000+.

Steve
                    I'll actually be selling one in very good/excellent condition with a bayonet in a week for about $2,000.
                    Jason David

Peter Pelican
                    36th Illinois Co. "B"
                    Prodigal Sons Mess
                    Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

OHIO marked?
                      James Brenner

Comment

I'll actually be selling one in very good/excellent condition with a bayonet in a week for about $2,000.
                        Cool! Can't wait to see pictures!

Steve
                        Steve Sheldon

Comment

I didn't see it when I looked. It is a .54, flip sight, with a cheek rest. Plus a bayonet that fits great.
                          Jason David

Peter Pelican
                          36th Illinois Co. "B"
                          Prodigal Sons Mess
                          Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Working...
                          X