Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15th Massachusetts or 20th Massachusettes (Uniform details)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15th Massachusetts or 20th Massachusettes (Uniform details)

Comrades,

So in a few months there is a local event that ill be going to that will be representing the battle of "Balls bluff". I'll be putting together a regiment to accurately represent the battle while doing a lot of "progressive" activities to boost the authenticity of the event. I'm trying to find accurate info on either the 15th or the 20th Mass Infantry.

Looking for Uniform details if possible.

Thanks in advance!
    Daniel DeLuca
    76th O.V.I
    McCook's Brigade
    Founding member of "The Backwash Mess"

Re: 15th Massachusetts or 20th Massachusettes (Uniform details)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lt. Alois Babo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	225070

Name:	Lt. Reinhold Wesselhoeft.png
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	225071

I looked at the Massachusetts Historical Society Collections for photos of the 20th in 1861, but I only came up with these two images of Lts Reinhold Wesselhoeft and Alois Babo, the latter being killed at Balls Bluff. There were other images, however they were taken post-1861 and would therefore be inappropriate for our purposes.

20th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment carte de visite album, Photo Coll. 67, Massachusetts Historical Society Photo. Archives.
    Andrew Clinard
    12th O.V.M.

Jefferson #90 F&AM

Comment

The regimental history of the 20th states that they were first issued smoothbore muskets which were exchanged for Enfields "a short time after" August 30th, 1861. The author indicates that these were carried for the remainder of the war, though they were though of as inferior to the 1861 Springfield. It makes no mention of uniforms.

Brevet Lt. Col. George A. Bruce, The Twentieth Regiment of Massachusetts Infantry, (Cambridge: Houghton, Mifflin and Company), 9.

This image shows a Pvt. Daniel B. Robertson, a headquarters orderly for the 20th in 1861.

Name:	cdm16635.contentdm.oclc.org.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	225072

"Soldiers, 20th MA," 1861, MOLLUS-Mass Civil War Photograph Collection Volume 131, U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, Carlisle, PA
      Andrew Clinard
      12th O.V.M.

Jefferson #90 F&AM

Comment

According to The Story of the Fifteenth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, p. 43, in early August 1861 "The regulation army uniform also came to the men. It consisted of light blue trousers, dark blue coats and black hats."

A cap owned by a member of the 15th. (Obviously the corps badge wouldn't work for an Oct. 1861 event)

Name:	cw 15th mass.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	225073

You could also check out Roland Bowen's classic From Ball's Bluff to Gettysburg for possible uniform details.

The 20th, at least, were issued gray overcoats that caused confusion. (I believe I've read of red blankets too.) Also, Troiani's painting of the 20th at Fredericksburg shows them wearing gray overcoats and several with caps with "20 MASS" lettering.
        Last edited by Will Hickox; 05-17-2016, 05:50 PM.
        Will Hickox

Comment

Working...
        X