Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying the Type of Tobacco

Good Morning,

So I have made a reproduction of the attached tobacco package, it is not the best by any means, but I am fairly happy with it for it being my first time doing something of this nature. My question however, is whether or not this tobacco is chewing tobacco or pipe tobacco. Most period labels I have seen for chewing tobacco say so. However in doing research on "John Anderson & Co.", I have found that he was very popular for chewing tobacco, namely his "Solace" product. However this package does not mention "Solace". My concern is that I plan on using these packages for pipe tobacco, but obviously I don't want to be doing that if the product was actually chewing tobacco. Does anyone have any insight into this? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Respectfully,

Terence Vierling

Re: Identifying the Type of Tobacco

From what I can see it looks to be chewing tobacco from the labels on the back.
    Eric M. Arnesen
    VMI '18

Comment

The back side of the label says it is chewing tobacco.
      Joe Knight

Armory Guards
      Yocona Rip Raps
      "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

It does say that, but that is quoted from 1842, this is from 1864, so I was kind of taking that as just a review of the quality of tobacco the company sells in general, but that could be true.
        Last edited by tooch14; 08-03-2016, 02:33 PM.
        Respectfully,

Terence Vierling

Comment

Chewing tobacco was often used in pipes as well especially when supply was limited. There are accounts of smokers recycling the chewed tobacco from their pards and smoking it after drying out the saliva. It is referenced extensively in Memoirs of a Dutch Mudsill. I've smoked plug chewing tobacco in a pipe. It worked fairly well. Smoking tobacco came in a different form than the shred we are used to for the most part. Flake was very common.
          Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
          SCAR

Comment

Originally posted by PMFerringer View Post
            Chewing tobacco was often used in pipes as well especially when supply was limited. There are accounts of smokers recycling the chewed tobacco from their pards and smoking it after drying out the saliva. It is referenced extensively in Memoirs of a Dutch Mudsill. I've smoked plug chewing tobacco in a pipe. It worked fairly well. Smoking tobacco came in a different form than the shred we are used to for the most part. Flake was very common.
            Oh, man, that's gross! Weevil ridden hardtack, rancid salt pork and spittle drenched tobacco? Those guys were indeed made of tougher stuff than us!
            Dave Schwartz,
            Company B, 79th NY Vols.
            (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

Actually the John Anderson Tobacco Company of New York is an interesting story in and of itself, with both a famous clientele and a whiff of scandal in the form of the unsolved murder of a teen aged girl who worked at the tobacco shop in the late 1830s. Anecdotally, it was believed Edgar Allan Poe used the facts of the case as the basis for his short story The Mystery of Marie Roget (the girl was named Mary Rogers). Anyway, 'Solace' was a very popular chewing tobacco product, but Anderson also sold smoking tobacco.

This is the so-called Honey Dew Fine Cut, a product about which the Merchants' Magazine and Commercial Review of 1846 (Volume 14) said "Anderson has effected many valuable improvements in the machinery employed in his business. The advantage of knives, propelled by steam, for the cutting of tobacco, is obvious—the revolutions being performed with perfect regularity and precision, a long silken cord is produced, which the old, laborious, but unscientific method, could not effect. The manufactory is divided into fourteen apartments, each apartment being devoted to a distinct branch of the business. I was not a little surprised on learning the amount of labor required in depriving tobacco of its impurities, preparatory to cutting and curing. Mr. A. assured me that one great reason why so much inferior tobacco is offered for sale, is owing to inattention, or want of knowledge in the preparation... analyzed a quantity of Mr Anderson's Fine Cut Honey Dew and certified it pure tobacco."

It likely that Honey Dew Fine Cut (like Solace) was made to be chewed, however it would not be out of place to either smoke or chew the tobacco from that package. Soldiers obviously enjoyed tobacco both ways. Plenty of accounts support this. However, if a soldier got a luxury treat such as a package of pure tobacco from a high end New York shop like it appears this is supposed to be...well that was likely to be hidden so it did not have to be shared. A period account from a soldier in the 5th New York stated, "if there was any exception to the generosity (of sharing gift boxes from home) it was tobacco...that was jealously guarded. It was said that many a man who was the fortunate recipient of a package or plug from home would carefully secrete it and walk a half mile or more to a friendly patch of woods where he might take a chew unobserved. If known to be the possessor of such a luxury his stock would be exhausted before he was one hour older."

So I guess, if you have your package of Anderson tobacco out conspicuously and in plain sight, expect to share it.
              Last edited by Craig L Barry; 08-14-2016, 07:37 PM.
              Craig L Barry
              Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
              Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
              Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
              Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Kind of related to tobacco. Major Dearing's tobacco bag and image. Thought I had a bigger picture but can't find it. One of his relatives had some of his items at a local event some years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DearingBag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	225106
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Jim, I'm interested in knowing if the label on the bag states "Twist" or "Plug" tobacco?
                  Thanks,

Chad Phillips

Comment

I can not find the original picture which is a larger file. Seems to me it didn't say but I can't be sure. Still looking.
                    Jim Mayo
                    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

This is a label I copied from an original. It is tubed shaped, not rectangular. The language on the label is word for word as the original. I researched this a bit and apparently distributors had been "recycling" previously used wrappers with tax stamps to avoid taxes.

Name:	IMG_0223.JPG
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	225108Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.JPG
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	225109

Here is the original I copied.

Name:	IMG_0890.JPG
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	225110 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.JPG
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	225111
                      Last edited by PogueMahone; 08-29-2016, 09:45 PM. Reason: add photos
                      Joe Smotherman

Comment

The box that packages of Anderson's Solace product were packed in was distinct and eye-catching. Blue with gold print. Inside the box lid was an historic scene that added another touch of class and distinction.

Name:	IMG_0889-1.JPG
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	225112

We are familiar with the images of Foulke's sutler tent. In this blown up detail, you can see a box of Solace displayed prominently on the left, as well as an old lid tacked up over the counter.

Name:	IMG_0870.JPG
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	225113

Neat, huh?

I credit good people with great research for sharing those images with me. They know who they are.
                        Last edited by PogueMahone; 08-29-2016, 10:04 PM. Reason: incomplete sentences ...
                        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Great info everyone, I really appreciate the comments. I went to Gettysburg this past weekend and paid a visit to the original on display at the Visitor Center Museum, I need to make a few sizing adjustments and then I think I will have a pretty good reproduction to take into the field.
                          Respectfully,

Terence Vierling

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                            The box that packages of Anderson's Solace product were packed in was distinct and eye-catching. Blue with gold print. Inside the box lid was an historic scene that added another touch of class and distinction.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50925[/ATTACH]

We are familiar with the images of Foulke's sutler tent. In this blown up detail, you can see a box of Solace displayed prominently on the left, as well as an old lid tacked up over the counter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50926[/ATTACH]

Neat, huh?

I credit good people with great research for sharing those images with me. They know who they are.
                            Is there a better picture of the Solace tobacco artwork?
                            Johnny Lloyd
                            John "Johnny" Lloyd
                            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                            SCAR
                            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

[QUOTE=tooch14;259307]Good Morning,

So I have made a reproduction of the attached tobacco package, it is not the best by any means, but I am fairly happy with it for it being my first time doing something of this nature. My question however, is whether or not this tobacco is chewing tobacco or pipe tobacco. Most period labels I have seen for chewing tobacco say so. However in doing research on "John Anderson & Co.", I have found that he was very popular for chewing tobacco, namely his "Solace" product. However this package does not mention "Solace". My concern is that I plan on using these packages for pipe tobacco, but obviously I don't want to be doing that if the product was actually chewing tobacco. Does anyone have any insight into this? Any
                              Chip Riley

Comment

Working...
                              X