Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for the source of the British test Enfield fired over a period of years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the source of the British test Enfield fired over a period of years.

I have seen references to, and remember reading it myself, a statement about a British Enfield rifle fired several thousands of times over the course of about three years without cleaning.

I cannot remember the primary reference.

Does anyone know it?

Thanks,

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Re: Looking for the source of the British test Enfield fired over a period of years.

I think it was CH Roads British Soldiers Firearms 1850-1864
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Re: Looking for the source of the British test Enfield fired over a period of years.

The source is British Soldiers' Firearms. I'd give you the page, but I'm on the road.

Regards,
      Don Dixon

Comment

Dang! Another book I need!
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

As the title suggests, it is about development, testing and evolution (by the Board of Ordnance/War Department) of the Enfield made for soldiers in the British Army rather than the commercial contractor made Enfield long rifle which saw extensive use in the US Civil War. That said, CH Roads British Soldiers Firearms 1850-1864 is widely considered required reading for serious students of the Enfield.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Yes, thanks, I think I got this on inter-library loan and thus that is why I cannot find the source right now! :)

Steve
            Steve Sheldon

Comment

Steve,

A synopsis of the citation you were looking for is as follows. Between 5 August 1863 and 5 May 1866 the British Army conducted an endurance test on a Pattern 1853 rifle musket. This rifle musket was fired at the rate of 20 rounds per day, for a total of 16,000 rounds, without cleaning. In February 1859, the British had reduced the diameter of their bullet for the .577 caliber Enfield from .568 to .550 inches, and that bullet – 0.022 inches under nominal bore diameter – was used in the above test. However, the British used the lubricated paper wrapper of their cartridge to take up windage in the bore of the Enfield and to provide adequate lubrication. (Roads (British Soldiers Firearm), pp. 69 and 140)

Regards,
              Don Dixon

Comment

Originally posted by Don Dixon View Post
                Steve,

A synopsis of the citation you were looking for is as follows. Between 5 August 1863 and 5 May 1866 the British Army conducted an endurance test on a Pattern 1853 rifle musket. This rifle musket was fired at the rate of 20 rounds per day, for a total of 16,000 rounds, without cleaning. In February 1859, the British had reduced the diameter of their bullet for the .577 caliber Enfield from .568 to .550 inches, and that bullet – 0.022 inches under nominal bore diameter – was used in the above test. However, the British used the lubricated paper wrapper of their cartridge to take up windage in the bore of the Enfield and to provide adequate lubrication. (Roads (British Soldiers Firearm), pp. 69 and 140)

Regards,
                Don Dixon
                Thanks Don! I had obtained this book on intra-library loan and remember reading the passage but had forgotten where I had read it and could no longer find the source. Having experimented with the British Enfield style of cartridge, even with wood-based paper, it is clear to me that that style of cartridge is the high-water mark of development of the muzzle loading cartridge. Especially once the barrel warms up, you can actually feel the lubricant being swabbed down the entire length of the barrel, as opposed to "naked" bullets where the lube is carried in recessed grease grooves on the projectile and there is only incidental bore contact on loading. It's my feeling that the Enfield style of cartridge lubricates and coats the bore on the way down and on the way out.

Steve
                Steve Sheldon

Comment

Working...
                X