1864 Atlanta Campaign (20th Corp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1864 Atlanta Campaign (20th Corp)

Can someone give a basic idea of what would have been worn for this campaign? I was talking with a fellow reenactor friend and was guessing sack coat, sky blues and slouch hat w/ white star for corp badge?

Would modified hardees be ok and were forage caps worn too? If pictures are available, that would be great?

Thanks in advance. ...

Sincerely,
    Robert Wallace
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: 1864 Atlanta Campaign (20th Corp)

You can't go wrong with a standard Federal impression. Depending on who and where there might be some civilian items. An example the 55th Ohio would be strictly fatigue blouse and forage cap before Resaca, After Colonel Charles Gambee was killed things relaxed more. As a side I have encountered a letter from a soldier who was assigned as an ambulance driver and was wearing civilian trowsers; he was writing home to borrow money for his fine as he was being returned to the 55th Ohio.
    The real difference is the the 20th Corps were more drilled and were often considered bandbox soldiers.
    Andrew Grim
    The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
    x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
    Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
    Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Here's probably one of the more famous images of Federal soldiers in the aftermath of Atlanta:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CW1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	225122

These guys are XX Corps. Star on the hat of the soldier at the left. Standard western Fed, with the addition of a frock, and a pretty natty looking officer.
      Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
      My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

I see sacks, slouches and modified hardees....correct?
        Robert F. Wallace
        38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
        North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by robwall1861 View Post
          I see sacks, slouches and modified hardees....correct?
          Those may not be 20th Corps soldiers, though.

Primary sources indicate the 11th and 12th Corps troops (who were combined into the 20th Corps) contrasted greatly in their neat appearance with the westerners, at least initially. Whether this neatness lasted throughout the campaign is something I don't know about, but doubt. A photo in George Collins's history of the 149th New York shows the regiment in formation in front of an Atlanta mansion, wearing caps and sack coats, with some of the men (probably NCOs) in jackets.
          Will Hickox

Comment

Working...
          X