Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Era vs 1872 Brass

Gents-

I used our search engine and could not find an answer to my question so I am going to go ahead and post it. From time to time Civil War relic dealers will sell original non-dug hat brass items. Specifically I am talking about the branch of service brass. The hunting horn signifying infantry, the crossed sabers for cavalry, etc. My question is this. What is the difference between an original Civil War period hat insignia and a Model 1872 version? Is it the size? I ask because The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg has a "US Model 1872 Cavalry Insignia" for sale and it looks Civil War period to me.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Civil War Era vs 1872 Brass

I don't know the answer to your question however it might have something to do with the size. I suggest asking Wes Small the question although I am sure someone here can answer.

Cheers,
    Rob Weber

Comment

Re: Civil War Era vs 1872 Brass

I know with eagle buckles, there were so many private military outfitters that there are tons of variations in the detail of officer and NCO plates. Would this is true of hat brass as well?
      Dave Schwartz,
      Company B, 79th NY Vols.
      (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

Working...
      X