4th Mississippi Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Mississippi Infantry

Anyone with leads on any 4th Mississippi Infantry images or unit specific descriptions for the 4th MS under Lloyd Tilghman and Col. Joseph Drake? I know that the 15th Arkansas and 51st Tennessee as well as "Gavin's Alabama Battalion" were in the same brigade at certain intervals from Fall 1861 - late Winter 1862. Does anyone have any leads on returns or orders showing a similar pattern of uniform and weapons issue?

I have only been able to find officers and civilian wear clad individuals and general descriptions of captured Mississippians at Ft. Henry and Donelson but my time a resources have been limited, too.
    Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
    Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
    ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
    ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
    ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
    ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
    ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Re: 4th Mississippi Infantry

The quartermaster's department, at Fort Henry, was represented by Captain H. L. Jones and a Capt. John McClaughlin.. I'm having to see if they reported to Belmont, MO or Columbus, KY before being garrisoned at Henry. I'm hoping to find out where they came up from..
    Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
    Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
    ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
    ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
    ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
    ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
    ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Hello Jon, A few years ago I tried to find out what type of arms the 4th Miss had at Ft. Henry but could not come up with much. Kendall D. Gott wrote in his book, They Fought at Fort Donelson "The regiment initially had 787 men, but sickness reduced this number to about 665 at the time of the campaign. The men were also miserably armed. In October of 1861, the regiment had but 356 arms of all descriptions."

You would think that since they were an early regiment, organized in April, 1861, that they would have been better armed.

Dan Stewart
      WIG

Comment

Dan,

You're mistaken that the regiment was organized in April 1861, it goes back to the fact that Mississippi had a odd numbering system. The first Mississippi regiments organized for field service were the 9th-20thish. The 1st-8th Mississippi infantry regiments (with the exception of the 2nd) weren't fully organized until the late summer-early fall of 1861 because they were supposed to be a kind of Mississippi regular army. It was September before the 4th was actually organized and by then weapons and gear were getting hard to come by.

Will MacDonald

Comment

The 51st Tennessee turned over 333 Halls, on April 25, 1862 and another 14 on the 26th while stationed at Corinth.
          Garrett Glover

Comment

Jon, I hope this helps. I found this info on Fold3. Looks like they predominately had small bore rifles, or at least those required special requisitions and could not be filled from Fort Henry's ordnance stores.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Special Requisition (undated)
            3000 Cartridges for small-bore rifle
            3000 rifle percussion caps

"only kind of cartridges will fit guns on hand."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Special Requisition (dated January 15, 1862 while at Fort Henry)

8000 rifle cartridges (per Sample)
            10000 rifle percussion caps
            Approved by Col. Cmdg. Fort Henry
            (cover of requisition says “8000 (S.B.?) Cartridges” and “10,000 pistol caps”)

I certify that the above requisition is correct, and that the articles specified are absolutely required for the public service, rendered so by the following circumstances, they are the only cartridges that will fit the bore of the rifles for which they are required, there are none on hand.

Joseph Drake, Col. 4th Regmt. Miss. Vols.
            Approved A. Heiman Col. Commnd.
            Fort Henry
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Head-Quarters 4th Reg. Miss.
            Fort-Henry Oct. 28th …

Major General Polk,
            Sir,
            Lieutenant-Col. Leyton 4th Reg. Miss. Vol. who will hand you this communication visits Columbus to see you on business connected with the regiment. The state authorities of Miss. have failed up to this time to arm us completely. They have furnished only three-hundred and fifty-six (356) guns, probably a small lot of forty muskets more are on the way, making in all but three-hundred and ninety-six (396), the deficit then will four-hundred and thirty-six (436) guns to arm us completely. If you could by any means in your power furnish us with the arms in need, I would be greatly obliged to you.
            A few days since I wrote you as to the propriety of appointing Cadet Stafford my adjutant, you will oblige me by making any communication you may have upon this subject to Col. Leyton.
            Yr. obt. Servant
            Joseph Drake
            Col. 4th Regmt
            Miss. Volunteers
            Joe Knight

Armory Guards
            Yocona Rip Raps
            "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Working...
            X