23rd Tennessee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23rd Tennessee

Ok, I have searched through the Military Annals of Tennessee, The Official Records of the War of the Rebellion, and various other titles and seem to keep falling short.
    Does anyone know of any good resources for the 23rd Tennessee infantry. (Keebles Battalion) Specifically the time frame from the start of Hoovers Gap, to just after Chickamauga.
    Silas, I know you are a huge fan of Johnsons Brigade as well. Do you have any suggestions?
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Re: 23rd Tennessee

I've been digging around a bit, too- and haven't found anything of substance. There is, however, a descendants society for the 23rd, and an SCV Camp named after Co. C, they might have more information on them- I just don't have the time or temperament to pursue that trail at the moment.
    Tyler Gibson
    The Independent Rifles

Comment

That sounds interesting.

I hope that some of them have actual written documentation directly from the source. Otherwise I would be afraid of getting fed a twisted tale of what granddaddy told them.

I sense your frustration when even thinking about this Tyler.
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I never really found much on the various regiments of Bushrod Johnson's Brigade beyond what you've noted. The homes of the particular company of the 44th I studied were from the area from Hoover's Gap down to Manchester which means that their homes were in occupied territory from the time you're examining through the end of the war. Getting pulled out of Tennessee with Longstreet when he returned to Virginia caused them to be orphaned in a land they didn't know with people they didn't know. Letters home? Forget about it. Diaries? Haven't seen one.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

There are multiple military rifles produced in TN. There was a manufacturer in Franklin TN, I don't have the name with me--there are multiple of these in the Wray Collection. Also, there were military rifles made in Goodlettsville, and a couple other locations thru the state. Most all of these are similar to the "Mississippi" rifle.

There is a good book written by Mr. Jones at the Atlanta History Center that has photos and information on these rifles. Thank you.

Brent Brumagin
          Brent Brumagin

Comment

This is absolutely AWESOME! Thank you Brent. Do you happen to remember the title of this book?
            Tyler Underwood
            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
            Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Tyler, it is:

"Confederate Odyssey: The George W. Wray Jr. Civil War Collection at the Atlanta History Center"
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Outstanding!
                Thanks Herb!
                Tyler Underwood
                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Working...
                X