Shiloh Enfield questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiloh Enfield questions

I know that some Arkansas troops captured Enfield's early on in the battle of Shiloh was wandering if anyone had any info about these Enfield's as to type and manufacturers?
    Ross Taylor.

Re: Shiloh Enfield questions

Ross, perhaps your best bet would be to find out exactly who lost them and then start back tracking to the SOS.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Hallo!

You will likely not find any "details" or any detail you are looking for.

Such information was rarely if almost never (use of a universal noted) recorded or even noted as it was not considered important enough to write down. (And often times it is recorded incorrectly such as Enfield rifle-muskets being logged as "muskets" or "rifles."

Good luck. Please share what you do find to expand our collective Knowledge Base.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I will see what I can find I was wondering because I was planning on getting my Enfield defarbed and trying to decide what style and manufacturers markings to have put on it. Thank y'all for the info I will keep digging and see what I can come up with.
        Ross Taylor.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9vtresized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	668.7 KB
ID:	225157

Wouldn't it be proper to make your Enfield into the most common imported model? One good choice would be a BSAT marked Tower. This one is a dated 1862 Tower with BSAT rondell. It was issued to the 9th Vermont. For your use I would go with 1861 date with or without the BSAT mark. I see more without than with.
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
          X