Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 Springfield repro?

Hi Pards,
    I'm not sure if I posted in the right section. Sorry if it's in the wrong place. My question is what is the most accurate looking 1861 Springfield repro?
    Thanks
    John Lawson
    John Lawson
    19th Alabama (Australia)

Trust in God and fear nothing.

Re: 1861 Springfield repro?

Hello,

I'll take a shot at answering that question. I have handled several different reproductions as well as several originals, and I think the best reproduction was made by Miroku. These are tough to find these days but again I feel they are the best. Armi-Sport and Euro-Arms before, and even after being de-farbed, have their problems. They are bulkier looking and heavier than an original. I think that the reproduction made by Pedersoli is a step above each of the aforementioned. Hope this helps.

Richard O'Flaherty
    Richard O'Flaherty
    Private Daggett

Comment

Yep, I agree with Richard. I have a Miroku and an Armi Sport. I've also carried Pedersoli/Euroarms. The problem is you have luck out like I did and find a guy selling a Miroku since they aren't made anymore, but by far and away the best repro. Second I'd say is the Armisport.
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Thanks, fellas I did know about the mirokus, but not about the others. What about chiappa repros?
        Are they any good?
        Thanks again
        John Lawson
        John Lawson
        19th Alabama (Australia)

Trust in God and fear nothing.

Comment

Chiappa is ArmiSport
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Actually, the Armi Sport (Armi Chiappa) US 1861 and derivative CS Richmond repros are not that good. Pedersoli is essentially the same as Euroarms except for an American walnut stock. There was a product review of the Armi Sport US 1861 done by Rick Simmons for The Watchdog in Fall 1998 that used to be in the research article archive here. It has not changed appreciably or improved since that was published.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I'm also sort of on the lookout for a 1861 Springfield. I was wondering what you guys think is better. A new Armisport 1861 fully defarbed by Lodgewood Mfg. or a new Pedersoli 1861 from Dixie gun works. Thanks
              Harry Cullman

Comment

Harry,

I'll be selling an original 1861 in the next feweek days it's a Trenton make for New Jersey. In solid condition with a few Knicks in the wood from being 150+ years old.
                Jason David

Peter Pelican
                36th Illinois Co. "B"
                Prodigal Sons Mess
                Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Jason but I'm more interested in a reproduction rifle as I'd like to do events with it and would rather not potentially ruin an original. Thank you though
                  Harry Cullman

Comment

I'll never understand why the reproducers of the 1861 cannot get the shape of the hammer correct? I have looked online at Pedersoli, and they don't have it right either.
                    Kevin Dally

Comment

I agree that, out of the box, the "Model 1861" made by Miroku is the closest of all M1861 reproductions I'm familiar with. That being said, one thing Pedersoli gets closer to - and this holds true for their entire Civil War line - is weight. When handling other Italian reproductions side-by-side with originals, the extra 1.5 to 2 lbs. they weigh is very noticeable. However. both the Pedersoli Model 1861 and P53 weigh within a few ounces their original counterparts.
                      Dave Schwartz,
                      Company B, 79th NY Vols.
                      (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

I have an original 1861, and when I compared it to my ArmiSport 61, my Armi feels like it weighs a ton! It's not the barrel, they mic out very close to the same diameter all the way down the barrel. Heck, on my Armi, the lock-plate is thinner than the one on m,y original! It's that European Walnut they used, it's much denser/heavier that the American Walnut on my original.
                        Kevin Dally

Comment

Originally posted by Pritchett Ball View Post
                          I have an original 1861, and when I compared it to my ArmiSport 61, my Armi feels like it weighs a ton! It's not the barrel, they mic out very close to the same diameter all the way down the barrel. Heck, on my Armi, the lock-plate is thinner than the one on m,y original! It's that European Walnut they used, it's much denser/heavier that the American Walnut on my original.
                          The European "fruitwood" used in the Armi Sport stock weighs 4.0 lbs per board ft vs 2.8 for American walnut.
                          Craig L Barry
                          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
                            The European "fruitwood" used in the Armi Sport stock weighs 4.0 lbs per board ft vs 2.8 for American walnut.
                            Whoa! That is the first time I have seen hard figures on that.
                            Kevin Dally

Comment

Originally posted by Pritchett Ball View Post
                              Whoa! That is the first time I have seen hard figures on that.
                              And it goes a long way in explaining why both the Armisport and Euroarms M1861 weigh 20% more than an original!
                              Dave Schwartz,
                              Company B, 79th NY Vols.
                              (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

Working...
                              X