Uniforms of the 56th New York National Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniforms of the 56th New York National Guard

Looking for info on uniforms for a unit that I'm sure is high on everyone's "must portray someday" list, the 56th New York National Guard. This is NOT the 56th New York of X Legion fame, but the National Guard unit from Brooklyn.

Here's where I am so far:

In 1862, the 56th utilized a new provision contained in the Militia Act of 1862 to be provided with uniforms through local sources.

The state would only pay for an amount equal to the prices for uniforms set by the federal government ($16.94 for an overcoat, frock and trousers). However, the low bid on the uniforms for the 56th was $22.50 for the uniform approved by the Quartermaster Department, so the regiment came up with the additional $5.56 per man. "The uniform selected by the board of officers was a plain Chasseur uniform, according to a sample furnished the Department." Whether that is "plain" as in completely untrimmed, or "plain" as in less gaudy than some other chasseur uniforms I've seen, I don't know. A copy of the ad inviting bids is attached, and represents the best description of the uniform I have: light blue kersey overcoats, dark blue chasseur jackets, and light blue chasseur trousers (Source – Report of the Quartermaster General's Department, New York, December 31, 1862, included in the Documents of the Assembly of the State of New York, Eighty-Sixth Session – 1863).

The only photo I've been able to turn up of the 56th NYNG is of an officer in a standard line officer's frock and doesn't show the enlisted uniform.

From the description of the uniform and the timeframe in which they were procured, I assume that they were similar to the chasseur uniforms adopted in September of 1862 by the 22nd New York National Guard, but that is purely a guess.

If anyone has additional info on their uniforms (or their arms and accouterments, for that matter), which may help my efforts, I'd love to hear from you.

Other sources already consulted:
    Militia Law of the State of New York – 1862

General Regulations for the Military Forces of the State of New York – 1858

History of the Twenty-Second Regiment of the National Guard of the State of New York, General George Wood Wingate

Our Campaign Around Gettysburg… by John Lockwood (1864) (you'd think the 23rd NYSM won the Gettysburg campaign singlehandedly)

Flames Beyond Gettysburg: The Confederate Expedition to the Susquehanna River, June 1863, by Scott Mingus (2011)

Anything but Dull – The Personal Letters of R.E. Jack: His Legacy From Maine to California 1856 – 1869, by Marilyn L. Darnell (2013)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ad for Uniforms for 56th NYNG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	770.8 KB
ID:	232027
    Eric Paape
    Because the world needs
    one more aging reenactor

Re: Uniforms of the 56th New York National Guard

Alas, the gentle chirping of crickets again greets one of my inquiries.

Bumping this up. There has to be someone out there with a NY National Guard fetish who can help fill in some of the blanks.

To add to the consulted sources, I am currently reading the diary of Abraham Torrer (identified by the NY Public Library as the diary of A. W. Tower), 56th NYNG, Co C, kept during the Susquehanna Campaign. So far, nothing of relevance regarding their uniforms or equipment.
    Eric Paape
    Because the world needs
    one more aging reenactor

Comment

He shoots, he scores!! Slips one through the 5-hole!!!

Two photos of enlisted men from the 56th NYNG, courtesy of New York State National Guard, by Anthony Gero and Roger Sturcke, Arcadia Publishing (2006):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown 56th NYNG.png
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	225160 Click image for larger version

Name:	Vanderheide George - 06-63.png
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	225161
      Eric Paape
      Because the world needs
      one more aging reenactor

Comment

Abraham Torrer (identified by the NY Public Library as the diary of A. W. Tower), 56th NYNG, Co C, kept during the Susquehanna Campaign.

Is this something that you can message me with? I did a booklet on the New York State National Guard in 1863 during the Pennsylvania Campaign for our museum and I came up short on this unit. I would love to see what this unit did after the Battle of Gettysburg came to an end to see what their experiences through South Mountain to Waynesboro, PA were about. All I have to go on with Baldy Smith's Division is the Thirty Days Campaign by Lockwood, plus those other units that came into our township. The Monterey Pass Battlefield Park and Museum would be grateful for more information on this unit as well.

John A. Miller
        Monterey Pass Battlefield Park and Museum
        John A. Miller, Director
        Monterey Pass Battlefield Park

Comment

John - PM sent.
          Eric Paape
          Because the world needs
          one more aging reenactor

Comment

Working...