Use of the musket sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of the musket sling

I am always seeing reenactors telling others, usually new guys, to "ditch the sling". And while it was very common for a soldier to not have a sling for his musket, there is plenty of photographic evidence to justify the use of the sling. Many reenactors aren't very fit ( i'm not just talking about weight), so a sling can be very beneficial, especially on marches. Am I saying that every reenactor should use a sling? Of course not, but I think reenactors need to stop telling others to get rid of their rifle sling. It confuses me that some people think this is somehow more authentic, when there are a plethora of photographs showing musket slings. Just my two cents on this topic, feel free to discuss it more.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	232031

Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	232032

Name:	image.gif
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	232033

Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	232034

Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	232035

Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	232036
    Ben Beckman

17 and been a living historian for 2 years. New to this side of the hobby, always looking for events to go to.

Re: Use of the musket sling

I believe this is a personal preference as was this issue during the time period.
    Joshua Corry
    SEPTEMBER 16th-- "IT WAS SOMETHING DEMON-LIKE, A SCENE FROM AN INFERNO. THEY WERE SILENT AS GHOSTS, RUTHLESS AND RUSHING IN THEIR SPEED, RAGGED, EARTH-COLORED, DISHEVELED, AND DEVILISH. THE SHUFFLE OF THEIR BADLY SHOD FEET ON THE HARD SURFACE OF THE PIKE WAS SO RAPID AS TO BE CONTINUOUS, LIKE THE HISS OF A GREAT SERPENT. THE SPECTRAL, GHOSTLY PICTURE WILL NEVER BE ERASED FROM MY MEMORY." CAPTAIN EDWARD HASTINGS RIPLEY.

Joshua Corry

Comment

Love 'em on a march.
      Hate 'em while doing the manual of arms.
      Generally, I think they are under represented.
      Personally, I think a musket looks cool with a sling on it! ;-)
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

On or off, I just cant imagine a soldier discarding an item such as a leather sling considering it can or could be used for many purposes.
        SEPTEMBER 16th-- "IT WAS SOMETHING DEMON-LIKE, A SCENE FROM AN INFERNO. THEY WERE SILENT AS GHOSTS, RUTHLESS AND RUSHING IN THEIR SPEED, RAGGED, EARTH-COLORED, DISHEVELED, AND DEVILISH. THE SHUFFLE OF THEIR BADLY SHOD FEET ON THE HARD SURFACE OF THE PIKE WAS SO RAPID AS TO BE CONTINUOUS, LIKE THE HISS OF A GREAT SERPENT. THE SPECTRAL, GHOSTLY PICTURE WILL NEVER BE ERASED FROM MY MEMORY." CAPTAIN EDWARD HASTINGS RIPLEY.

Joshua Corry

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO, the issue of more of what was issued versus not issue according to unit, time,, place, and circumstances. Slings appear in inventories, as well as do not appear in inventories. Same for Period images.

If issued, it would have been an item of government issue and one the company books for which the solider would have been accountable. However, unit records that had slings issued often list arms that did not have the same number of slings which would possibly reflect loss but more likely men receiving arms or replacement arms that Ordnance did not ship with them. Or, units having been in initially issued slings often later show high rates of "loss" over time.

Etc.

I am with Herr Wick on this one. I love a sling on the march. I hate a sling for drill and bayonet drill. :)

Curt
          Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 09-22-2017, 12:40 PM.
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Agree they are useful on the march but get in the way for drill purposes. Hence, in most scenarios I see them mostly as cosmetic item that adds additional weight to an already too heavy reproduction musket. And I would add that if you decide to use a sling, use one that is correct for the musket you carry and the time period portrayed. There are more inaccurate reproductions of this particular item than almost any other. Especially the elongated US type widely used for the P53 Enfield, but many others are off in terms of dimensions, too.

Also install it on the musket properly.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Back in 2007, at the Vicksburg "Life on the Line" living history and rodent buffet...

I had a proper English sling on my Enfield (Yep, Craig, it was "TMP"!) and it was quite irksome! Not much marching, but we did drill and firing. I don't like the Enfield design... a sling swivel on the top band isn't much help, unless you sling "butt up".

I prefer a sling for my Lorenz, US, and French pieces.
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Don't toss your sling. Not only does it belong to the captain and cost 25 cents, it has its uses, according to J. W. DeForest:

"One fine lad, the clerk of D Company, anxious to save the ordnance stores for which his captain was responsible, undertook to carry off the muskets of five wounded men, and thereby drew upon himself an unusual amount of attention from the enemy. I ground my teeth with helpless rage and anxiety as I heard the balls strike around him like axes wielded by demons. He was lying on his face, crawling slowly and pulling the muskets after him by a gunstrap. He had nearly reached the little log parapet when he gave a cry, 'They have hit me!'"

"Hands were extended to help him, and he was dragged over with no other harm than a flesh wound through the thigh, but without his precious charge of ordnance stores...."

I bet they got them that night, though. Clerks never get enough credit... ;)
                Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                X