Authentic tooth care articles for the average soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic tooth care articles for the average soldier

I have a general question for you all out there. I am looking for authentic period tooth powder/paste containers for the field. I have looked quite a bit online and can find only post Civil War (mid to late 1800s) tooth paste/powder containers. As cool and collectible as they are, they are not authentic. Information and pictures are sparse to non-existent as to what was used during the Civil War and what the containers looked like. Everyone has the tooth brush down pat, but the tooth powder containers offered for sale by most sutlers are pure fancy. The Sutler at Ft Scott is the only vendor that claims to have duplicated a period container. Mr. Tobey and his CRRC is silent on the subject.

Soooooo........what research has anyone conducted and what did you find to fill this little detail in the life of a soldier? :thinking:
    Douglas Urbanski
    1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
    Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
    William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
    Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
    David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
    Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Re: Authentic tooth care articles for the average soldier

Here is an example of a British Ceramic "Pot Lid". This method was used from around 1845-1880. This method also used in the in the Canada and the United States. This item was probably not carried long on the campaign due to the delicate nature.Click image for larger version

Name:	Toothpaste Pot Lid1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	225200Click image for larger version

Name:	Toothpaste pot lid2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	225201

- - - Updated - - -

See the link for some other ceramic American options: http://www.antiquepotlidcollector.co...id-gallery.php
    Tristan Galloway

Comment

Here's another American ceramic toothpaste container from the 1850s/1860s:

Last Sunday, Dumpdiggers got an email from an Ole friend in New York City boasting about conducting a clandestine archeological dig in one o...
      Tristan Galloway

Comment

Taking advantage of his skills as a dentist and chemist, Dr. Washington Wentworth Sheffield, in 1850 at the age of 23, invented modern toothpaste.
        Tristan Galloway

Comment

Being a dentist, Tristan might know a thing or two about the subject...
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Those are some good links.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your input. I have been looking at British toothpaste pots and containers (fascinating collecting hobby by itself!). I think that I an narrowing it down a bit. Finding an authentic pot that will stand campaigning is the challenge. Any other input that comes down the pike will be appreciated.
              Douglas Urbanski
              Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
              Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Comment

Tristan,

Thanks for the links and references. I have found what I needed and have reproduced a few labels that are from the era and am working on containers that withstand field use yet be correct.. I have even purchased a few pot lids with bases just to have them! So much history for sale, so little money........

Doug
                Douglas Urbanski
                Mess No. 1

Ancestors:

Comment

Working...
                X