Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Size / Manufacture Markings on Federal Issue Domet Shirts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size / Manufacture Markings on Federal Issue Domet Shirts?

Does anyone have documentation on the Size / Arsenal / Inspector markings on the Federal Issue Domet Shirts? I "assume" they would have a 1,2,or 3 and perhaps a Arsenal Mark of "SA" or something along those lines. Any clues? If so, where would they be located? I've searched high and low but any articles I find about originals (the few that exist) mention nothing about markings. The obvious answer is that they were not marked but it seems odd that the Army would mark other uniform items and not the shirt. Thanks
    Daniel Sutton

Re: Size / Manufacture Markings on Federal Issue Domet Shirts?

Daniel, I'm far from an expert on this, but I believe all of the issue shirts were of one size, thus it was not necessary to mark them by size. As to inspector or other markings, I haven't a clue.

Mess No. 1

In memory of:

Jacob Donohoo--11th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (US);
    John A. Ozment--1st Battalion, 16th Kentucky Cavalry/12 Kentucky Cavalry (US);
    Marshall Kennedy--1st Kentucky Infantry (CS)/Dortch's Battalion of Kentucky Cavalry (CS);
    Newton J. Bowland--3d Kentucky Infantry, CS;
    Thomas S. Marshall--10th Kentucky Cavalry, CS.

Comment

According to Robert Huntoon's Historic Notes in Past Pattern's Federal Trousers pattern, "Congress passed a law in 1862 requiring that government inspectors mark each item they passed with their name or recognized mark." ..."By 1864, contractors were required to indelible mark goods of their manufacture not only with their name, but also with the date of their contract."

You might want to check with the Wisconsin Veteran's Museum. They have an issue shirt in their collections. I viewed it many years ago but can't remember if it was marked or note.

Brian Baird

Comment

Seth,

You are technically correct in stating that the Federal issue shirt came in one size but in reality, as with all army clothing, it came in two sizes—too big and too small. ;)

Greg Daimwood

Comment

Greg Daimwood, long time no see. Hope all is well with you.

Mess No. 1

In memory of:

Jacob Donohoo--11th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (US);
          John A. Ozment--1st Battalion, 16th Kentucky Cavalry/12 Kentucky Cavalry (US);
          Marshall Kennedy--1st Kentucky Infantry (CS)/Dortch's Battalion of Kentucky Cavalry (CS);
          Newton J. Bowland--3d Kentucky Infantry, CS;
          Thomas S. Marshall--10th Kentucky Cavalry, CS.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrich Demuth View Post
            Seth,

You are technically correct in stating that the Federal issue shirt came in one size but in reality, as with all army clothing, it came in two sizes—too big and too small. ;)

Greg Daimwood
            It's been my experience that the army actually has THREE sizes:

Too big

Too small

Don't fit

Harry McNally
            Harry McNally

Comment

Working...
            X