Jacket with vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacket with vest

At Olustee this weekend I saw an infantryman wearing a waistcoat (vest) and cravat underneath a shell jacket. I don't remember having seen this before. Then again I may well have simply overlooked it a hundred times before. My wife could easily attest to my deficiency in powers of observation, listening, compassion........well you get the idea.
    Was it common?
    Greg Tucker
    Greg Tucker

Re: Jacket with vest

Depends on the kind of vest I would think. The military style vests with raised collars were not as common as civilian vests, especially for the south. A vest was a normal part of a man's attire, and so when men joined the army some continued to wear one. I would not say it was the norm, but certainly was done. In the trans-Mississippi theater, Confederates had much more civilian clothing in the ranks. I am no expert on this though, hopefully someone has a better answer.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Johnson-Benjamin-S-WICR-12192.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	225238

Name:	Mills-Lt.-Edward-P.-31871.jpg
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	225239

Name:	Catt-Pvt.-William-31706.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	225240

Name:	Screen-shot-2011-01-03-at-9.22.34-PM1.png
Size:	626.8 KB
ID:	225241
    I may be wrong, but it seems the 3rd man up is wearing a vest

Name:	20fa3263a3275d8e63d20e0b8b6b51f3.jpg
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	225242
    Ben Beckman

17 and been a living historian for 2 years. New to this side of the hobby, always looking for events to go to.

Comment

Re: Jacket with vest

Originally posted by Beanbomb View Post
      Depends on the kind of vest I would think. The military style vests with raised collars were not as common as civilian vests, especially for the south. A vest was a normal part of a man's attire, and so when men joined the army some continued to wear one. I would not say it was the norm, but certainly was done. In the trans-Mississippi theater, Confederates had much more civilian clothing in the ranks. I am no expert on this though, hopefully someone has a better answer.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]51501[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]51502[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]51503[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]51504[/ATTACH]
      I may be wrong, but it seems the 3rd man up is wearing a vest
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]51505[/ATTACH]
      I hope you all understand that I have seen the vests and cravats with frocks, and sack coats for years, I only recently saw them used in conjunction with a shell jacket. Sorry to have sounded so ignorant.
      Greg Tucker
      Greg Tucker

Comment

Working...
      X