Iowa State Haversacks & Accoutrements- Early War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa State Haversacks & Accoutrements- Early War

I am right now working on a new book covering Missouri, 1861, uniforms, clothing, flags, etc., and the History. In doing research for a painting on the 7th Iowa at the Battle of Belmont, Missouri, November 7th, 1861, I have some questions. Seems Iowa was caught short, like many States, in equipping their early Regiments. Firearms came out of St. Louis, as did uniforms and accoutrements. What is interesting is Iowa Regiments 1 thru 8, each had a different outcome as to how and how much clothing and gear they received. The hard luck Regiment was the 7th Iowa-- no clothing issued until October of 1861.

Question- Does anyone have any sources on the 7th Iowa, or early Iowa issue canteens, haversacks, or knapsacks? Some came out of Penn., some out of St. Louis, and for the 7th Iowa, the State of Illinois! The 7th Iowa received their first uniform out of Illinois Stocks! Canteens? Haversacks? Have descriptions like black leather straps and brown canvas bags to plain linen or canvas!

Who is the unknown researcher on Iowa Civil War material culture?

CSuniforms
    Tom Arliskas
    Author "Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown."
    Tom Arliskas

Re: Iowa State Haversacks & Accoutrements- Early War

Tom-
    The Hairy Nation Boys can probably be of assistance. Specifically Nathan Hellwig.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Thank You! Will try Nathan.

CSuniforms
      Tom Arliskas
      Tom Arliskas

Comment

Tom,

I have a haversack that belonged to Pvt. Minor Hupps of the 8th Iowa who was captured at the Hornet's Nest at Shiloh. It is entirely hand-sewn and corresponds exactly to the painted cloth variety with the exception of being unpainted. It shows evidence of having the standard tin buttons that held that held the liner. Hupps was later exchanged and served the remainder of the war, but I am of the opinion that this was the one he was captured with in April 1862 for a number of reasons.
        Paul McKee

Comment

I saw that one and considered it for the painting. The artist has this is my notes. The problem, for authenticity, is to have in the painting the one they used.---or--- the best guess. Thank You for responding, and I might look at that haversack again... Are there pictures? Tom

CSuniforms
          Tom Arliskas
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

Tom,
            That haversack is pictured here:

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...-s-Nest-Shiloh
            Paul McKee

Comment

As far as I know, the exact nature of the 7th Iowa's original issue haversacks isn't known. I think it likely that they were unpainted, though. We know the 1st Iowa got unpainted ones, and we've seen Mr. McKee's 8th Iowa bag.

As you alluded to, Iowa had a very had time securing arms and equipment for its volunteers. It wasn't until the 11th Iowa was mustered in October of 1861 that an Iowa regiment left the state fully equipped. In fact at least part of the 3rd Iowa fought at Blue Mills, Kentucky, with no accoutrements. The 1st Iowa fought at Wilsons Creek in ragged (mostly) civilian clothes.

Given that the unpainted bags were certainly less desirable, it seems logical that influence-poor Iowa would end up with lots of them. It's circumstantial, I know,
              but it's all I've got :)
              Arch Campbell
              Hairy Nation
              Loyal Union League
              Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Working...
              X