7th Ohio Infantry Research and impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7th Ohio Infantry Research and impression

Howdy folks! I've been doing research on the 7th OVI about what arms they were issued and what uniforms and accouterments they were issued. From what I found it appears there was a mix of fatigue blouses and frock coats used as I've seen photographs of both being used at different stages of the war and forage caps being the majority of the headgear used however a photograph of the regiment in 1864 it appears there are some slouch caps being used. However when it comes to the muskets they were issued I've run into a little bit of confusion. In the itinerary of the 7th it says they had flintlock conversions drawn from Camp Dennison until they turned them in late in June 1862 while in Alexandria for Springfield rifle muskets. However, a letter from CPT Sprague describes that they received 200 Enfield muskets and 800 "late pattern US muskets" which sounds like it could be 1842 or 1840 conversion muskets also Ohio quarter master and arsenal records also state that old conversion muskets were turned in and the Enfields and 42 Springfields were issued in late June of 1861. I'm wondering why there is a discrepancy here the itinerary says they turned in old flintlock conversions in June of 62 for Springfield rifle muskets if anyone else could weigh in on this it'd be awesome.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a couple of the other threads that helped with my research

A few days ago, I posted a tale from the Battle of Taylor’s Ridge (or Ringgold Gap). Colonel William R. Creighton commanded the Union brig...

Civil War Portage, Portage County, Portage County Ohio, Portage County Civil War -

Here's a couple websites I found some good pictures on
    Brady Rusinek

Re: 7th Ohio Infantry Research and impression

The 7th received conversion muskets shortly after their arrival at Camp Dennison in May 1861. In June, the regiment turned in the conversions for 200 Enfields with which to arm the flank companies and 800 M1842 smoothbores for the line companies. They carried these weapons until June 1862 when they exchanged them for Springfield rifled muskets.

The regiment also received haversacks, knapsacks, canteens, and bayonet scabbards when they received the smoothbores. It's likely they already had cap and cartridge boxes from when they were issued the conversions.

In addition to the Wilson and Wood regimentals, see also Richard Staats', The Bully Seventh Ohio Regiment, Heritage Books: Bowie, MD, 2003. It's a handy little book that includes many of the soldiers' letters to the Cleveland newspapers.

I hope this helps a bit.
    James Brenner

Comment

Re: 7th Ohio Infantry Research and impression

Yes thank you James. Another thing I forgot to mention was it seems like the 7th didn't start wearing the rooster badge until after they were transferred west.
      Brady Rusinek

Comment

Working...
      X