Fly tents and shelter halves: Confederate tent production in richmond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly tents and shelter halves: Confederate tent production in richmond

New article on Confederate tentage! A MUST READ for living historians, scholars, and enthusiasts alike! https://www.libertyrifles.org/resear...federate-tents

Click image for larger version

Name:	CS Fly Tent and Shelter Half.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	232177
    Michael Clarke
    Liberty Rifles
    True Blues
    Black Hats

Re: Fly tents and shelter halves: Confederate tent production in richmond

This was another great article by one of the LR.

John A. Miller
    Monterey Pass Battlefield Park
    John A. Miller, Director
    Monterey Pass Battlefield Park

Comment

Re: Fly tents and shelter halves: Confederate tent production in richmond

A great piece of work!

The investigation which is based upon original source documentation is a terrific example of first class research. The James T. Butler and Co. contract link was new to me and is quite an addition to our understanding of how Major William Bentley's operation operated. Bentley oversaw camp and garrison equipage production for the CS Quartermaster Department in Richmond (Richmond Depot). He was also in charge of finished goods shipment to the troops operating in Virginia and clothing/equipment warehouse management.
      I am particularly pleased because this highlights the use of Gibson wooden buttons indicating definite connection to the Richmond Depot and Bentley's tent production operations. I saw the May shelter half at the NC Museum of History several years ago when studying the G. P. Bryan jacket and believed that was the probable provenance then. Glad to see it has been finally documented by Craig.

Dick Milstead
      The Company of Military Historians
      Richard Milstead

Comment

Working...
      X