Detroit made canteen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit made canteen

This is an image of a canteen on display in Jackson Michigan. It is said to be a model 1858 canteen carried by a Captain in the 1st Michigan Three Month Volunteer Infantry Regiment in 1863. I do not believe this to be true. I believe that it may be on of the 1000 canteens made by William Tefft of Detroit for the 1st Michigan Three Month Volunteer Infantry Regiment. According to the newspaper Tefft used red wool to cover the canteens. Tefft made many more canteens for Michigan troops. Any help on this canteen?

William T. Carr
    Company of Military Historians

- - - Updated - - -

I am trying to get measurements for the canteen. It is not round and perhaps a inch or two taller that it is wide. I do not feel this is a model 1858 canteen.
    Attached Files
    William Carr

Re: Detroit made canteen

Almost looks like it is three pieces not counting the spout. Two ovals with a band around them in the middle making a flat edge. Where was this on display, Ella Sharpe Museum?
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Well, that is not like any 1858 US contract canteen I have ever seen...looks almost like a modified tin drum variety. The US 1858 canteens were an oblate spheroid design. William Tefft (Detroit Stove Works) made canteens, plates, tin cups, etc. He charged 45 cents for the canteens he supplied according to the Jan. 1862 Report of the Special Committee Appointed to Inquire Into the Military Expenditures for the state of Michigan. The first canteens Michigan issued to their 90 day regiments reportedly came from William T. Tefft and the canteen covers were made out of red cloth.

The Detroit Historical Society attributes the canteen in this image to a Col Withington from Jackson County Michigan and dates it to 1863. Whatever this canteen actually is, it does not appear to be a regulation US 1858.
      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-06-2017, 09:12 PM.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Thank you for the answers.Yes it is at the Ella Sharpe Museum.

I am not sure how many canteens were made with red cloth covers and unless the cloth has faded oddly, this does appear to be covered with red cloth. There is a photograph of the 1st Michigan Three Month Volunteer Infantry Regiment before it left Detroit that shows men wearing these canteens. The photograph does appear to show canteens that are taller than they are wide.

When I take into account the Col. Withington's (captain when he left Detroit in 1861) canteen has a red cloth cover, which was what the newspaper said was the same color as provide by Tefft to the 1st Michigan, and the canteens in the photograph are not round as well, leads to believe the canteen Ella Sharpe Museum has is a Tefft made canteen.

This comes into play because in August of 1861 William Tefft was contracted to supply 3,000 canteens to the 5th, 6th and 7th Michigan infantry, according to Bazelon & McGuinn P 268. A reproduction Michigan five button sack coat is now available. If someone wanted to do an accurate portrayal of a 5th, 6th or 7th Michigan wearing the Michigan five button sack coat, then they might want to get a canteen like this to use. This is assuming Tefft did not change the style of the canteens made for the later units. Sadly it is not clear what color of cloth Tefft used for these later canteens.

Thank you for you input.
        Major William T. Carr (ret.)
        William Carr

Comment

Working...
        X