Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Shelter Half diary account

Diary account of Rice C. Bull, 123rd New York:

"As soon as our company streets were laid out by our officers each man was issued a tent cloth, and with these strips of cloth were directed to construct shelter tents; “dog tents” was the name given them. Usually three men would occupy a tent as the three cloths could be so arranged as to enclose, when finished, the three sides of a tent, in which they could lie. These tents were to be used chiefly for sleeping, as one could barely sit erect at the highest place in the center. They were far from comfortable living quarters. Yet they were the only kind of shelter we would have in the field during our term of service. For three years this thin cloth tent would be our cover from wind, storm and cold.
    The tents were kept erect by driving a stake at each end, the stakes extending about three feet above the ground, and about six feet apart. They were connected at the top by a light pole over which was placed two of the tent cloths, buttoned together and stretched as much as possible at the sides. The third cloth covered the back of the tent. The head of our bed was at the back where we used our knapsacks for pillows. For our beds we would first spread our blanket, for covering we used two other blankets.
    In fair weather we stacked our guns in the street but when it was stormy took them into the tent to keep them dry. When the weather was dry and warm our tents were comfortable sleeping quarters but in wet, cold times they were anything but satisfactory. They would shed rain when it came gently but if the storm was heavy the rain would come through, at first like damp mist and when the cloth was well soaked would run through in big drops like a leaking roof. In rainy weather we had either to stand out and take it full force or lie in our tents. As soldiers we had to get used to anything, discomfort, food, clothing and shelter, and we soon became used to the little tents and were thankful to have them. Experience taught us to always trench around our tents if we were to use them for any length of time, so we would not be flooded out in case of a storm."

OK, THREE men in a typical shelter-half tent? (Assuming it's a typical issued shelter-half) This is the 1st time I have read of this! I always thought, and had read many times it was 2 men in these issued tents. Now, I KNOW they were skinnier by far than many of us, and having two halves I can place together to make a full "dog" tent, I know how much room they have. I'm really skeptical that in any stretch of the imagination, you can get more than 2 men in one!

Anyone know of any other accounts that tell of THREE men in one of these things?
    Last edited by Pritchett Ball; 06-17-2017, 05:43 PM.
    Kevin Dally

Re: Federal Shelter Half diary account

"So, no s___. There we were. Doug Cooper, Bob Johnson and I marched into the Southern Guard Picket Post in November, 2005. It had been raining pretty heavily that afternoon and into the early evening. It would be an evening into the upper thirties with chance of rain. We marched into the event site and set up our tent. Each of us carried a shelter half. We buttoned a pair and slung the third one over an end. On the bottom, we placed two gums then laid one blanket atop the gums. The second and third blankets were placed atop the first and would be our outer layers. Our last gum blanket was placed on the remaining tent opening. The pieces on the ends caused the shelter to be rounded like a bell on both ends.

"One of the warmest nights sleeps I can remember on a cold night without any fire. The next night, we slept on our own without much cover. This was because we were in different platoons and different reliefs. As the temperature dropped into the twenties, the sleeping wasn't as pleasant."

There's an account, but I don't think you were fishing for a nonperiod account. Yes, you can sleep three to a shelter tent when necessary.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I have read an account that described three men in a shelter tent. With the third half being used to close off one end of the tent as best as possible. Sorry, I cannot remember the book and it was years ago.

Hobby side, like Silas I have been there a few times. Just at the last Pickett Mill there was three of us under two halfs. One of those three was another mod here and a man standing up in my wedding.That same groomsman and I have have shared a single shelter tent with another before. Just sling it low and there is plenty of room. Using the third to block one end over a guide rope creates a cone shaped pocket to toss gear into. I have more but no need to share more reenacting stories.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Well, I'd say answers given were just the kind needed! You all helped make sense of what the account talked about.

Rice C. Bull's account talked of 3 foot long poles, that would spread out the tent a bit, Though the standard length(s) poles as I understand it is 3' 10" to 4' lengths. Wrapping the 3rd cloth OVER the end guy rope, offers a section of room I hadn't thought of.

Good responses!

Kevin Dally
        Kevin Dally

Comment

I find it interesting that this is the only first-hand account I've seen that tells what they did with their arms during rain while on campaign.

Thanks! This will answer a boy scout's question from two years ago...
          Daniel Griego
          "Elmer Divens"
          High Private
          Woodtick Mess

Comment

A lot of practices we find second nature the soldiers did as well - like taking your rifle into the tent in bad weather. For whatever reason most did not mention it. Rice Bull and the 2nd Vermont's Wilbur Fisk mentioned everything, fortunately for us. The closed off end with the third shelter half works great - extends the tent to 6 feet or more. Try fitting 3 men using alternative feet/heads with the guy in the middle feet toward the closed end because of the pole. The outside comrades extend their shoulders and head into the closed end with feet at the front. Not comfy, but hey, who wouldn't be soldier?
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

There is no law saying you must lay parallel to the ridgepole. If you lay crosswise to it you can be pretty well covered - and I have tried three in a three shelter tent, the adder to the back curled up happily under the back half - it was so cold we probably could have made room for another.
              David Stone

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                A lot of practices we find second nature the soldiers did as well - like taking your rifle into the tent in bad weather. For whatever reason most did not mention it. Rice Bull and the 2nd Vermont's Wilbur Fisk mentioned everything, fortunately for us.
                I just Got Wilber Fisk's book: Hard Marching Every Day, a short while back...talk about details!
                Kevin Dally

Comment

Has anybody used four halves buttoned together? I always thought that would work very well, but never had an opportunity to try that set-up out.
                  Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Yes. In bad weather, our mess buttons four halves together to make one long tent. With four or five of us, we sleep with our heads in the middle, and feet towards the ends. In better weather, four or more can be buttoned together with the ends open to allow for air.
                    Daniel Griego
                    "Elmer Divens"
                    High Private
                    Woodtick Mess

Comment

What a great quote.
                      Scott Cross
                      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

For the longest of time, the triangular end piece was rumored to have never been issued. This is the first reference I have seen that it was used. Neat!
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                        SCAR
                        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

It doesn't say anything about the third one being triangular. The piece on the end would be a shelter tent like any others, not fitting perfectly, but able to close off the end enough to help. This practice was common in the French army of the 1850s to at least WWII, when this square sort of shelter tent was abandoned by the French.

David Stone
                          David Stone

Comment

Working...
                          X