Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for photo of M1840 conversion by John Wurfflein fedeal contractor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for photo of M1840 conversion by John Wurfflein fedeal contractor.

I am looking for a photograph of an M1840 flintlock conversion to percussion performed by the contractor John Wurfflein for the federal government.

Such conversions were said to have a plate that filled the flash pan notch on the lock plate, acting as a seat for the bolster. I want to see a picture of this configuration.

Wurfflein only made about 2,000 conversions.

Also, does anyone have contact information for George D. Moller?

Thanks,
    Steve Sheldon
    Steve Sheldon

Re: Looking for photo of M1840 conversion by John Wurfflein fedeal contractor.

So, this would have a bolster like a Lehman or H&P conversion?

I can do a dig through the ol' library and hard drive archives. Will let you know what I find.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hallo!

Curt
      Hen's Teeth Mess
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hi Curt,

With the lock stamped 1832, can these be M1840s?

I got in touch with George Moller today. He was heading out...he says he may own one of these and will get back in touch with me. But if anyone has some pictures, let me know!

According to Moller's book, the M1840 conversions by Wurfflein had a filler plate in the pan notch on the lock plate. If this is so, and the bolster was thus flat on the bottom, it may be possible to use a complete Armisport barrel without modification to the bolster to make an M1840 conversion.

Steve
        Steve Sheldon

Comment

Hallo!

This is the only image I know of, a Starr contract M1822 ("M1816 Type III").

My assumption is that those M1816 Type III's deemed suitable for conversion along with the M1840's would have been done the same way by Wurfflein so the bolster and lockplate work (and sight) would have been the same whether M1822 or M1840.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

According to Moller's book, the Wurfflein M1840 conversions had a filler plate of some sort fitted into the pan notch, that "supported the bolster". I don't know if this means it completely filled the pan notch or not, which is why I'm looking for a photo.

I got in touch with Mr. Moller yesterday. He said he believes he may own a Wurfflein conversion. He was on his way out, and said he would check and get back with me. I am anxiously awaiting his return call.

Steve

Steve Sheldon

Comment

Hallo!

Yes.

The "plate' or spacer is evident in the picture between the lock plate and the elongated H & P bolster.

Not having ever seen one or had one to take apart, I do not know what the plate or space is (brass or iron) or how it attaches or just sits there.

Curt
              Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

The "plate' or spacer is evident in the picture between the lock plate and the elongated H & P bolster.
                Hi Curt,

I'm not following you here....which picture are we talking about? I cannot see any spacer plate in the picture (with text) I posted, so I assumed it was not an M1840 conversion. Also it's the Wurfflein conversion that supposedly has the spacer, not H&P.

Steve
                Steve Sheldon

Comment

The spacer under the bolster is the dark line. Based on the photographic evidence (and metal working experience) it appears to be made of brass therefore indicating being braised in. The yellow of the brass shows up as a darker color than polished steel in photographs.
                  Steven Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Stevenjohnson9851 View Post
                    The spacer under the bolster is the dark line. Based on the photographic evidence (and metal working experience) it appears to be made of brass therefore indicating being braised in. The yellow of the brass shows up as a darker color than polished steel in photographs.
                    I could be wrong, but I think that darker line is a shadow being cast on a bevel.
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger
                    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hallo!

I suspect it is brass, also. Brass had a long tradition of being used to fill in flint lock plate bolster gaps on flint to percussion alterations.

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Ah, I see what we are talking about. I believe this is simply a bevel (chamfer) cut on the bolster bottom to make it better blend in with the lock plate surface - otherwise you'd have a sharp edge and step.

I have an original (on loan) M1840 lock plate with a brass filler. It is for a cone-in-barrel conversion, I believe.

Here it is:

Full size:

I will take a picture from the outside when I get home.

This is the sort of filler I am hoping to see on the Wurfflein conversion. I have had no luck identifying one - still waiting for Mr. George Moller to call me back and confirm whether he owns one or not. I have contacted several museums so far. The NRA and Cody museums do not have one. The Met told me to go search their database - not much luck there either.

Steve
                        Steve Sheldon

Comment

Well, Mr. Moller called me back today. He does not own one of the Wurfflein conversions. His recollection was that the spacer plate is behind the lock, following the profile of the pan recess. But, he admits it was a long time ago.

I'm holding out a little hope because his text specifically says the spacer was in the pan recess.

I do not know what purpose a shelf on the inside of the lock would serve, if the bolster seats completely into the existing pan recess.

I have feelers out to several museums right now, but all who have responded do not have a Wurfflein conversion.

Steve
                          Steve Sheldon

Comment

Halllo!

I have never encountered one myself.

One possible WAG... maybe the "Fuller Collection" at Chickamauga might be worth an inquiry?

Curt
                            Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Hi Curt,

Yup, Chickamauga was my first call. :) They are the ones that suggested I call Moller himself, and when I realized he was still alive. I went to the American Society of Arms Collectors web site and sent inquiries to every firearm museum they had listed. Also checked with the Atlanta History Center. All responses so far are negative - still waiting to hear from some of them.

There were a couple - Steve and Rondelle Willadsen - who wrote some articles on and researched the Wurffleins, particularly their involvement in parlor rifles and targets. I am trying to establish contact with them also.

Steve
                              Steve Sheldon

Comment

Working...
                              X