Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24th Virginia Infantry at First Manassas

Hello all,

I've been trying to develop an impression for what a private in the 24th Virginia Infantry would have worn during the Battle of First Manassas specifically. I've looked through online links with the unit history, and I also browsed through period photographs hoping to run across an image of a soldier from the unit, but I've had no luck at all. If anyone has any information or photographs depicting soldiers of the 24th Virginia Infantry at First Manassas, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you
    Robert M. Farley
    24th VA Inf. (New River Rifles)

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"
    - Thomas J. Jackson

Ancestors of Note:

Pvt. James R. Farley- Co. I, 60th VA Inf. C.S.A (3rd Great Uncle)

Re: 24th Virginia Infantry at First Manassas

Robert,
    Not specifically on the uniforms they were wearing but an interesting note nevertheless, the following appears to have been sent to Early as the commander of their Brigade:
    "The general commanding has directed to be sent to Fairfax Station some 6,000 wing badges, made in Richmond, which he wishes to be used by the infantry and cavalry of your brigade and that of General Ewell until otherwise directed. Your brigade will wear these badges the yellow side out, and General Ewell's the red side out. Each brigade commander will designate, at their option, the shoulder upon which the wing will be worn by his brigade. All pains and precautions must be taken to make the men of your command understand these badges and to regard them as the insignia of friends, who are not to be fired into under any pretense. It is the intention of the general that your artillery shall wear a different badge – perhaps a red flannel band around the cap or arm. This will be indicated in time and the flannel furnished. Colonel Cocke's brigade will wear a red flannel band badge around the cap or arm. This is communicated, so that it may be made known also to your several regiments, corps, and companies. The general trusts that after the recent catastrophe in one of our advanced brigades it will be unnecessary to impress on your men the need for coolness, an iron nerve, and all possible precautions against the slaughter of our own men."
    Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Manassas Junction, 8 July, 1861: Acting Assistant Adjutant General, Colonel T Jordan
    Supplement to the Official Records: Part II, Record of Events, Volume 71, Serial No.83: Record of events for the Twenty-fourth Virginia Infantry, May 1861-October 1864, edited by James B Hewett

I am not sure what the term "wing" refers to exactly but I would imagine it would be something like an epaulette sewed to the coats, jackets or "Battle" shirts they were wearing. Hope this helps.

Dick Milstead
    The Company of Military Historians
    Hardaway's Alabama Battery
    Richard Milstead

Comment

Re: 24th Virginia Infantry at First Manassas

Thank you for the information sir, I appreciate it!
      Robert M. Farley
      24th VA Inf. (New River Rifles)

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"
      - Thomas J. Jackson

Ancestors of Note:

Pvt. James R. Farley- Co. I, 60th VA Inf. C.S.A (3rd Great Uncle)

Comment

Working...
      X