Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26th North Carolina 1862

Hi Gentlemen,

We intend to portray in few months the 26th North Carolina during the winter 62. After having done some researches as french folks and with what we found out on internet, we know that most of the men were ragged and in bad conditions. As most of ANV in defintive. Uniforms were in shreds and tatters......
    But do you have any ideas of a specific dress code of the 26th at this time november 1862 ?

In summer 61 the North Carolina regiments were issued with the specific NC Sack Coat highly recognazible to its black shoulder sleeves. But by september 1861, the current stock was exhausted. On 10 February 1862, Assistant Quartermaster Major John Deveraux wrote to a firm with which the state had contracts to force them to provide new jacket.
    The previous sack coat was modified by removing the skirts and turning it into a six-button jacket. The falling collar and shoulder trim were retained on this garment. The next stage in the modification of the state jacket occured during the summer of 1862 with the elimination of the colored shoulder trim and the replacement of the falling collar by standing collar. This type was issued till the end of the war.

The NC sack coat turned into jacket.

So do we consider that the regiment was provided with jacket in most of the case in november 186? did they also wear combined uniform ? a mix of ragged NC sack coat, new NC jacket, Comutation ? ? and Civilian Jacket ?? Later in 1863, the regiment was issued with RD2 ..........

What do you think ?

Thank you so much !

Adrien from Paris
    Pv. Adrien "Aubrey" Marzuola
    French Mess

Re: 26th North Carolina 1862

These links might help if you've not seen them already:

I think a mix of both coat types (old sack coats and newer jackets) would be a safe bet.
    Kent Baxley

Comment

Aubrey,

have looked at this webpage or talked with their members, I bet they have the answers your looking for.

Civil War Reenactment Regiment. A comprehensive site that includes historical resources, photos, narratives, articles, schedules, rosters, and more.
      Don Woods
      Member ABT

Comment

Ok Thank you guys !

@kb4xley: the two links seem not to be working.
        @Don: I know the group but you are right , I should ask them even if they recommend to choose a RD2 for a better impression. It works after 1863 not before.
        French Mess

Comment

Sorry about that. Try these:

Kent Baxley

Comment

Originally posted by PenPusher View Post
            Try:-

http://www.northstaterifles.com/articles.htm

that covers their uniform research.
            @ PenPusher: Thank you!!

I took a deep look on the different websites, scouring informations. The NC Regiments in general appear to have been issued with NC jacket during spring time 1862 as I wrote above. By september they are in bad conditions. Some of them seem to still wear frock coat. Blancket, pants, shoes and socks are needed. I have no indications about other type of jackets.

Keep going !!!!
            French Mess

Comment

I am a member of 26NCT. We have early war jacket with black ribbon on epaulets and collar.Late war is identical minus black ribbon. Both coats have 9 button front and buttons on emulates also. They are US eagle buttons. Ben Tart made the jackets for use. You might check with Ben and he can tell you more about them. Hope this helps.
              Pvt. Michael Godwin
              CoG 26NCT
              Pvt. Michael Godwin
              CoG 26NCT

Comment

Thank you Michael! Ive had Randal Garrison by email .....so I'm dealing with him. Thanx again.

regards

Adrien
                French Mess

Comment

Great Aubrey Col.Garrison is the one to talk to
                  Pvt.Michael Godwin
                  CoG 26NCT
                  Pvt. Michael Godwin
                  CoG 26NCT

Comment

Thanks Michael ! Randal answered my questions and he has been kind to me.

Regards

Adrien
                    French Mess

Comment

You are very welcome Adrien. Glad to help. If you are ever interested in doing a battlefield tour he is the one to go with. He takes a group every year. He is doing one next month at Manassas. Hopefully we will do Gettyburg next year.
                      Pvt Michael Godwin
                      CoG 26NCT
                      Pvt. Michael Godwin
                      CoG 26NCT

Comment

Yes I would ! When I'll get ready to visit my US family hopefully , I won't miss that ! but not yet. You know how it is with a family , kid.....and the so far away distance from France. You can't imagine how long I've been waiting for that trip.
                        This week end we are going to a Public Event in northern england . We'll be reenacting Sharpsburg Battle (well Antietam depending on your side !!!!!!) . We are portraying the G Company of the 18th Virginia Inf. Then the fist we of November , it is our annual winter camp in France where we'll be enlisting the 26th NC.
                        As I told Randal , I will send you some pics by email once the camp been over.
                        Keep in touch !
                        Regards
                        Adrien
                        French Mess

Comment

Hope everything goes well for you with events you mentioned above.Never been to France but my Dad got a free trip there in there in 44 and 45. Talked about it a lot. Well know you know my approximate age. Better be careful had'nt I. I can still shoulder that musket though. Nothing I enjoy more and do like to do it the right way.
                          Pvt Michael Godwin
                          CoG 26NCT
                          Pvt. Michael Godwin
                          CoG 26NCT

Comment

Hi Gentlemen,
                            Here my first impression with my new NC jacket handmade/sew by a friend and good pard! Fabrics by Ben Tart. I've intentionally removed the black rim on the kepi in order of using it often as possible and in several more impressions.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	22221818_1992148597689326_5535044216412322922_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	225447
                            French Mess

Comment

Working...
                            X