CSA Officer's Collar Rank Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSA Officer's Collar Rank Insignia

I'm curious if anyone has encountered this specific design of Confederate collar insignia made of what appears to be solid metal rather than metallic wire embroidery or stamped metal sheet? It was found on an unaltered, extant Louisianan Colonel's frock coat in a private collection:

Click image for larger version

Name:	_9159409_orig.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	232293

Name:	_6053463_orig.jpg
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	232294

Full details:

Identified Regulation Brigadier General`s Frock Coat, this coat exhibits all the characterics of a Civil War pattern frock. General John Cook 7th Illinois Infantry and this picture is of him wearing...

I've seen a number of ad hoc, field/home front fabricated rank insignia of various styles and materials, but never any quite obviously commercially crafted to this level, like a piece of jewelry.
    Last edited by Michael Semann; 10-16-2017, 01:33 AM.
    Michael Semann
    AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Re: CSA Officer's Collar Rank Insignia

Upon blowing up the closeups of these collar devices, it does appear that they too are hollow, stamped brass (gold plated according to the description on the website), likely with button shank attachments. Most of that manufacture method that I have seen had the typical raised creases radiating from the center that these lack. Still interesting nonetheless.

If anyone has further information on these metal rank stars, I'd be interested to hear from you.
    Michael Semann

Comment

If memory serves me right, I believe Hypolite Oladowski's frock coat had metal stars. I viewed in many years ago in the TN. state Museum.
      Brian Baird

Comment

Practically speaking this makes a lot of sense because it allows the insignia to be easily removed when it or the garment needs cleaning.
        Dave Schwartz,
        Company B, 79th NY Vols.
        (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

I've actually collected a number of period photos depicting Confederate officer's wearing metal collar rank insignia, so it was more common than is depicted by reenactors. However, they have nearly all been of the following, stamped center crease design illustrated below, rather than the set in question:

Name:	6f3e853ed38129dff88093f1d0be9568.image.750x497.jpg
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	225448
          Michael Semann

Comment

Working...
          X