Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Best Federal Greatcoat to Buy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the best Federal great coat to buy?

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
    Jean is documented, as are other fabrics. But I think Jarnagin still use a cotton drill, which was not used, as far as I am aware.

At $395 + $95 up charge for a documented lining cloth, there is no financial advantage to a Jarnagin coat. Kersey is available. Patterns are available. Vendors are out there who will make a greatcoat if you ask. This isn't hard stuff.

Go shop for a proper, ready made US M1810 coatee. You'll spend over $1,000!

Who's ready for a good knockdown dragout over latex paint?
    It's like 2002 all over again! ;-)
    The Jarnagin's I've seen have blue flannel body lining, same as County Cloth: http://www.crchilds.com/Fabrics%20US%202013.html

It would be nice if you knew something about the product before making an ex cathedra pronouncement about its suitability. I think new people who write in with questions have an expectation that statements here will have some basis in fact.

And if it wasn't "hard stuff" the question would not have come up with all. Speaking of "hard stuff," there are people in this hobby -- or state religion, whatever it is -- who haven't the time to learn and practice the necessary 19th century tailoring skills to handcraft their uniforms. I've done it with my 1812 uniforms, but it helped that I'd already retired.

On the whole, if folks have to make a choice, I'd personally rather see them reading up on the Regs, tactical manuals, customs of service, and other sources that will directly support their impression than spending the same amount of time constructing garments that are already available from competent vendors.
    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Re: What is the Best Federal Greatcoat to Buy?

Doesn’t Chris Sullivan make them? Joe Blunt, Joe Hill etc.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

Yes, Chris and Joe make them. Along with the other vendors mentioned.
        Enough sources have been provided and Jarnagin gear is still not an approved supplier.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8110.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	225466
          This just in...
          Shane Miles announcing a foot men's greatcoat for $450.
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
          X