Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confederate Arsenal records - any searchable online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Arsenal records - any searchable online?

Hey Guys,

I read in a biography that my ancestor's Confederate unit picked up converted percussion musket's in Lynchburg, VA. in June of 1861. That got me to wondering if any arsenal records are available online and searchable? I'd love to know exactly what muskets they got in 1861, and also, if they ever exchanged them for more modern ones. Are any of those supply records available on line? Thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions.
    Randy Gann
    In Memory of my GGG Grandfather, Pvt. James E. Gann, Vaughn's - 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry. In service before Manassas, passed from Smallpox at Vicksburg, 11 April 1863. Left a young wife and several children.

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families, Past and
    Present !

DEO VINDICE

Re: Confederate Arsenal records - any searchable online?

Fold 3 has them, but they are very fragmented. For individual unit records look under the Compiled Service Records of the regimental officers. Sometimes you find stuff in the files of the Brigade/Division ordnance officers.

William MacDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Mississippian View Post
      Fold 3 has them, but they are very fragmented. For individual unit records look under the Compiled Service Records of the regimental officers. Sometimes you find stuff in the files of the Brigade/Division ordnance officers.

William MacDonald
      Thanks William. so, if Fold 3 has them, are they also available through any government archives that you know of?
      Randy Gann
      In Memory of my GGG Grandfather, Pvt. James E. Gann, Vaughn's - 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry. In service before Manassas, passed from Smallpox at Vicksburg, 11 April 1863. Left a young wife and several children.

Present !

DEO VINDICE

Comment

Randy,

Fold3 works with the National Archives so that is where they get it from. Some other records may be in various state collections. Every Confederate regiment was required to submit a quarterly return of ordnance but not every unit took the time to do it regularly. Most of those returns that survive are from the 1863-64 time frame.

William MacDonald

Comment

Randy -

I agree with William that you might have a challenging time finding records from 1861. Some of the early ordnance/equipment records that I've seen for the Stonewall Brigade come from collections of personal papers for various regimental officers held in university or library collections. For instance, you can see excerpts of some of the records of what the Brigade was issued at Harpers Ferry in 1861 in this article on our site. Additionally, James Schruefer used to have a great collection of inspection and ordnance reports on his great Blue and Gray Marching website. Although the site is sadly no longer active, you can still view his material via the Internet Archive. Good luck!
          Capt. Austin J. Williams
          Company A "The Marion Rifles"
          5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
          The Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Thank you Gentlemen!
            Randy Gann

Present !

DEO VINDICE

Comment

Working...
            X