Columbus Depot style jackets at Chickamauga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus Depot style jackets at Chickamauga

I came across an interesting quote in the diary of William Bluffton Miller, a Federal soldier in the 75th Indiana Infantry. Describing the actions of his unit in September 19th, 1863 at Chickamauga, he writes: “We fought Longstreets men. We can tell them by their dress being uniformed in White Jacket and Blue coller and cuffs and Blue pants. They are much better clothed than Braggs Army.”

Can anyone more familiar with Chickamauga confirm what units the 75th Indiana fought on Sept. 19?

Two thoughts occur to me—(1) I had thought that the conventional wisdom was that Longstreet’s men were clothed in EAC jackets at this time, not Columbus Depot jackets; and (2) if these were not Longstreet’s men (thus being AOT soldiers) it seems rather remarkable that Columbus Depot style jackets had not previously been encountered, such that Miller misidentified them as Easterners.

Mess No. 1

In memory of:

Jacob Donohoo--11th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (US);
    John A. Ozment--1st Battalion, 16th Kentucky Cavalry/12 Kentucky Cavalry (US);
    Marshall Kennedy--1st Kentucky Infantry (CS)/Dortch's Battalion of Kentucky Cavalry (CS);
    Newton J. Bowland--3d Kentucky Infantry, CS;
    Thomas S. Marshall--10th Kentucky Cavalry, CS.

Re: Columbus Depot style jackets at Chickamauga

My quick reading shows this. The 75th Indiana was in Col. King's Second Brigade, Reynolds' Fourth Division.

Per my copy of Powell's "Maps of Chickamauga," three of the four regiments of King's Brigade were south of the Brotherton Field, but north of the Brock Field. (This is the western Brock Field, not one east of the LaFayette Road.) These three regiments faced Tennesseans in Gregg's and Fulton's (Bushrod Johnson's) brigades in the afternoon of the 19th.

The 75th was separated from its brigade. The regiment is shown immediately east of the Brotherton Field and immediately south of the Brothertown Road. Between the three regiments of King and the 75th were the two brigades of Dick and Beatty. The opposing units which faced the 75th Indiana are from Bate's Brigade.

None of the Confederate brigades which tangled with any of King's four regiments were ANV. All were AoT. There were some ANV brigades nearby, but my book doesn't show any of the four regiments in King's Brigade facing any of the easterners.
    Last edited by Silas; 12-09-2017, 04:46 PM.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Thanks Silas. That’s similar to what I was finding but was not confident in my research. This suggests that CD style jackets weren’t previously encountered by Miller’s unit. I might be off, but I had always believed that they would have been present in large numbers much earlier in 63, or maybe even late 62.

Mess No. 1

In memory of:

Jacob Donohoo--11th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (US);
      John A. Ozment--1st Battalion, 16th Kentucky Cavalry/12 Kentucky Cavalry (US);
      Marshall Kennedy--1st Kentucky Infantry (CS)/Dortch's Battalion of Kentucky Cavalry (CS);
      Newton J. Bowland--3d Kentucky Infantry, CS;
      Thomas S. Marshall--10th Kentucky Cavalry, CS.

Comment

I’ve always been of the understanding they were being issued in the fall of 62, post Perryville. There are also accounts of heavy supplies to the AOT prior to Chickamauga which might be throwing off the perception of who he is fighting.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
        X